View Full Version : YANewbieT: Audiovox SMT5600 updates? and newb questions

mr_yellow
04-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi All,

This has probably been asked many many times already but I haven't seen anything recent regarding the Audiovox SMT5600.

I'm joining the smartphone craze a litle late by acquiring a new SMT5600. It's a pretty old phone so I'd just like to know what is the current "state" of this phone in terms of firmware/OS revision.

Are there any patches/updates/upgrades that I should install before I start installing other apps? Are there any big/obvious tips for a brand new smartphone user?

Being a new smartphone user, I do have some specific questions:

1) How are the phone numbers handled? I primarily keep 100% of my numbers on the sim card. How exactly does WM deal with numbers on the SIM card and numbers on the phone? Nokia's had an option to copy all the numbers to the phone memory and turn off the listing for the sim card numbers (so nothing gets duplicated). Is this any different with WM? I'm assuming each number is actually going to be associated with a contact entry in outlook, are there any kind of "sync with SIM card" options?

2) How do the profiles work in WM? Is there an option to have a timed profile (ie. set to silent for 2 hours). This is probably my #1 favorite feature in my old nokia phone.

3) Are there any obvious bugs or problems with WM in general? Things that I should know about now so that I can return the phone vs. encountering the problem 6 months from now?

I appreciate all input I can get. Thanks!

Mike Temporale
04-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Welcome Mr Yellow!

what is the current "state" of this phone in terms of firmware/OS revision.

You have the latest version. ;) In other words, there has not been any updates.

Are there any big/obvious tips for a brand new smartphone user?

We posted a "Input Tips" on the front page last week. Very helpful post. You can find it here -- http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10746

1) How are the phone numbers handled? I primarily keep 100% of my numbers on the sim card. How exactly does WM deal with numbers on the SIM card and numbers on the phone? Nokia's had an option to copy all the numbers to the phone memory and turn off the listing for the sim card numbers (so nothing gets duplicated). Is this any different with WM? I'm assuming each number is actually going to be associated with a contact entry in outlook, are there any kind of "sync with SIM card" options?

You can use the SIM card if you like, but most don't. Since everything is sync'ed with Outlook there isn't much need for the SIM's small and limited storage.

2) How do the profiles work in WM? Is there an option to have a timed profile (ie. set to silent for 2 hours). This is probably my #1 favorite feature in my old nokia phone.

No, unfortunately there isn't. You can use Automatic which will change your profile based on your calendar. If you have a meeting it will change to silent and once the meeting is over it will switch back.

Hope that helps!

Jerry Raia
04-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Also I don't think you can sync anything that is on the sim card with outlook.