View Full Version : "Send Link" right click option on PC?? Anyone know how to add it?

encece
04-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I have a need to send NETWORK FILE LINKS via email to other users on my network.

Currently Windows XP give me the ability to send FULL ATTACHMENTS via the right-click send to option. I would like to only send the link.

Also, IE allows the sending of links via email to web pages only. This is what I would like to do with file paths and names.

I hope that is clear...

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Maybe a registry hack or installer that will allow it to be added to multiple computers easily.

Thanks.

Mike Temporale
04-02-2006, 02:05 AM
While I think this would be really handy, I wonder how many people would actually use such a thing. Since the recipient would have to be on the same network.

Even if you could get it to put the link in a email, it wouldn't be click-able on the recipients side. Oh, wait. I think you can format it as File://F:/NetworkDrive/Files/Accountants/Bribes.doc and that should work.

I would like to see a solution for this too. It shouldn't be too hard. Let me see what I can come up with.

encece
04-02-2006, 03:05 AM
The problem I have is we, at work, share PDF and excel documents all day long. While we dont have a data management software solution in place, people are emailing large multi-page pdf and other documents all day long, to multiple people at a time. Many wind up just leaving these files in their mailboxes and saving them there for offline viewing. This is filling up my server quickly. Though we just installed a new drive for mail only...I want to keep this as free as possible as people still need send and receive LARGE (10-20MB plus) files all day long on a daily basis with people outside our company. (yes we use FTP as well, but many of our clients just want emails).

We just installed a VPN solution to help curb this but I'd also like to implement this so people get in the habit of sending links to files instead of sending the full attachment.

I asked this question on Modaco as well and I was referred to these two articles:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Q_21498458.html

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/send_link.htm

They both are in line with what I am looking for but what I really want is:
1) right click a file.
2) Click SEND LINK
3) Opens a blank email with a link already in the body.

I also would like a .reg file or installer so it's easy to install on each of the 40+ PCs in my office.

Thanks for looking into it.

encece
04-02-2006, 03:07 AM
also here is a little right-click addition that allows you to copy the path to the clipboard.
http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/

This is one step close but I'd also like it to open a blank email with the link in it. (mailto:)

Mike Temporale
04-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Those links are all fine, but they don't really solve the problem you outlined. :? There has to be a nicer, cleaner way. Let me try some things.

Mike Temporale
04-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Ha! Easy. I've got a rough draft done. There's no error checking and stuff. I'll clean it up tomorrow.

You want a prefix in the subject line like "[File Link]" or something?

and are you using Outlook 2003 ??

encece
04-02-2006, 05:47 AM
sure
And yes...2003
Cool!

encece
04-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Any progress?

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Any progress?

Yup. Just have to build the installer. Haven't really done that before. I should be able to get it finished up today. :D

encece
04-06-2006, 02:02 PM
\o/ I owe you bigtime! :)

Any progress?

Yup. Just have to build the installer. Haven't really done that before. I should be able to get it finished up today. :D

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Installer is now built, just testing it on some systems. Then all that's left is some cool name or title for this app. :mrgreen:

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Looks like you'll need .Net 2.0 on the machines for this to work. Is that a problem? I built it using VS2005 and unfortunately, that's what the outcome requires.

encece
04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
esh! 40+ machines to install on. Any way to make it without it?

As far as the name:
MTemp's SendLink

Mike Temporale
04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
esh! 40+ machines to install on. Any way to make it without it?

That's my thoughts too. I'm looking for a way to compile against 1.1, but so far I'm not having much luck. :(

encece
04-06-2006, 08:23 PM
LinkMe
LinkItToMeBaby
LinkyLinky
MTemp's Missing Link
Link-A-Doo
Linx
LinkinPark
MTLink
ClickyLinky
Link-A-Rific