View Full Version : Can Exchange Server Sync be broken?

racerx
03-18-2006, 12:08 AM
OK, so I've been using my Cingular 2125 for about a month, synching it to my company's Exchange Server 2003 for Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.

Sometime during the week, I suspect that changes have been made to the Exchange Server, as I am now not able to RECEIVE and changes to any of those services. I can SEND updates to the server, but nothing comes back down to the device.

Nothing was changed on my SmartPhone during this time. I installed no new software on my phone. I get NO ERRORS when synching to the server - just that nothing comes down, after a month of working great! :twisted:

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have any suggestions? I can't really go to my server adminstrators with this problem, as its not a "supported service" yet. But if I KNOW what the issue is, I can maybe get a resolution.

Thanks in advance for your help!

</RacerX>

Jerry Raia
03-18-2006, 03:12 AM
You are probably right. Something has been changed on the exchange server. I have run exchange servers and I can tell you that activating the mobile capability is just one check box. I use a third party exchange service now and from time to time when something gets changed they have to reset my account for it to work properly. I doubt anything on your end is the cause from what you have stated. You could try a hard reset of course just to be sure.

Mike Temporale
03-18-2006, 03:57 AM
Could be a firewall change, your carrier blocking some ports, something in exchange,... So many options, it's hard to say.

racerx
03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
But shouldn't I be getting an error message? If the Exchange admin turned off Mobile capability, I should be getting an error message, shouldn't I? Certainly if there was a firewall change, I would get an error message. Its all very weird - eveything looks fine - I just can't get any information to the phone.

Mike Temporale
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
What error do you get when it attempts to recieve data from the server?

Mark Kenepp
03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
OK, so I've been using my Cingular 2125 for about a month, synching it to my company's Exchange Server 2003 for Email, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks.

Sometime during the week, I suspect that changes have been made to the Exchange Server, as I am now not able to RECEIVE and changes to any of those services. I can SEND updates to the server, but nothing comes back down to the device.

Nothing was changed on my SmartPhone during this time. I installed no new software on my phone. I get NO ERRORS when synching to the server - just that nothing comes down, after a month of working great! :twisted:

Have you tried deleting and then creating a new partnership in ActiveSync?

A Smartphone here in the office had a similar issue after running maintenance on the Message Store. I tried all kinds of things to get it to work again even creating a new account on the Exchange Server. I finally thought of recreating the Exchange Server connection. I am guessing that that was all that was needed.

racerx
03-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Actually, I did everything I could think of. Deleting the AS profile, even hard-resetting the device. NOTHING. And then, just this afternoon, it started working again!! So they must have done something - I just can't figure out what...

Jerry Raia
03-21-2006, 12:13 AM
I have been through weird things like this with my Exchange Hosting Provider. They would have no idea what was wrong either. Then it would just start to work. I know a little bit about exchange and I am not surprised given the complexity of it.