View Full Version : Time to Settle Down and Lock In?

Mike Temporale
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,47111' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,47111</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Those who know me will say I have a passion for the latest gadgets, while others dare call it an addiction. Either way, I've come to grips with reality that it's a downright expensive hobby. Like my brother-in-law whose labor of love is tweaking an old Mazda RX-7 with parts on eBay, or my uncle who collects exotic fish in a humongous aquarium in his den, my endeavours have been in obtaining the best Pocket PC devices over the last few years. But, there comes a time when you ask yourself if you're doing anything productive with that device, or are you just happy with its features until the "honeymoon period" is over? I've been a Cingular customer since December 2004, and have popped my SIM card in nearly a dozen Windows Mobile Pocket PCs and Smartphones I purchased, then eBaying or selling off the device towards the purchase of the next every few months."</i><br /><br />This scenario sounds all too familiar. I'm not as bad as some of you, but I have been known to run out and buy the latest phone/gadget that catches my eye. Raphael over at our sister site, <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,47111">Pocket PC Thoughts,</a> is having a hard time deciding if he should settle down and sign a 2 year contract. That's a big step and I know I'm not ready for something like that. I don't think I can lock in a device for 2 years. I fully expect the next 2 years to be boom years. Things are changing so fast, todays handset will be long forgotten in just 24 short months. What do you think? What are your plans? Is anyone thinking of settling down and locking in?

jfreiman
03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Personally, I take a 1 or two year plan knowing that I will upgrade my device on my own dime within 12 months.

12 to 18 months has been my upgrade cycle for Windows Mobile devices for quite a few years. If I have to pay full price every now and then, I do it -- after weighing what's coming up *next*.

It's a cycle I've been doing for my computer for decades, but on my computer I do a major upgrade every 4-6 months and add on components every week or two.

Hmmm.... Funny, both platforms are Microsoft. ;-)

Rocco Augusto
03-14-2006, 12:23 AM
im stuck in a contract but my addiction causes me to upgrade my phone at least once every 6 months. right now im on the verge of trying to decide if i really want to spend the full retail price to purchase an 8125. :(

wshwe
03-14-2006, 02:26 AM
I try to limit my smartphone addiction to 1 device annually. The good news is that non-phone PDAs are on their way out.

thenikjones2
03-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I've come to the same conclusion, I've got 5 phones lying around (C500, HTC Universal, HTC Magician, Nokia 9300, Treo 650) and need to sell at least 3, if not 4 of them.

Deciding that I need to sell and settle was the easy decision. Deciding WHICH to sell, that's the tricky part.

hastings
04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
I keep hoping that the 2-year contract model will go away...