View Full Version : Ultra-Mobile PC, the Perfect Partner for Our Smartphones?

Kris Kumar
03-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Microsoft has formally unveiled the product code-named Origami, (http://www.origami.com) it is the Ultra-Mobile PC. (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx) With its 7" touch screen display and full fledged Windows XP Tablet Edition operating system, it brings mobility without sacrificing power, it brings flexibility without adding bulk, and the most important point, it brings all of the above at a price below $1000. The platform definitely has plenty of scope for improvements, like thickness, weight, battery life and cost, but it defines a very important category in the mobile arena. This category excites me.

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Kris-Mar06-UMPC.jpg

I love the Smartphone form factor and find the Pocket PC Phone Edition platform a little bulky for my pocket. And to complicate the matters further, the Smartphone with its small screen and lack of touch screen does make me think about owning a Pocket PC Phone Edition device. By the same token, I don't like the idea of carrying my laptop on my vacations and road trips. There are times when the Smartphones and Pocket PCs just don’t work well and the laptops are overkill. However, the power and flexibility offered by the Windows XP based laptops cannot be matched by Windows Mobile 5.0 based devices. The UMPC sounds like the answer to my dilema. The UMPC sounds like the ideal mobile partner for my Smartphone and I totally agree with Janak Parekh's comments (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,47071&amp;/the_ultra-mobile_pc:_are_disconnected_pocket_pcs_in_trouble?.htm) over at Pocket PC Thoughts - "Instead of having a dumb cell phone and a Pocket PC, why not have a Pocket PC Phone or Smartphone (for phone, PIM, lightweight email, etc.) and a UMPC?" <!>

The UMPC is not only going to be a perfect mobile entertainment device but from a mobile enterprise user perspective, I can see that the Windows XP operating system in the UMPC devices will enable for the developers a new medium for rich enterprise applications. Something that the Pocket PC and Smartphone form factors and Windows Mobile 5.0 cannot offer. The dual connectivity options, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on the UMPC make perfect sense. Thanks to Bluetooth, the UMPC can connect seamlessly to the Internet using the Smartphone as the modem; this means that I don't have to pay the cellular company any extra charge every month for an additional wireless data service. Wi-Fi on the UMPC, to me, makes more sense than on my Smartphone; I can make better use of the faster speed on the UMPC than on my Smartphone.

The only thing holding me back for now is the price and the battery life, I would like to see a price closer to $700 and battery life closer to 6 hours. And one more thing that should be standard on this ultra portable is the GPS sensor. In short, I support the UMPC platform and would like to hear your thoughts.

BigCanoe
03-10-2006, 06:11 PM
If it has a decent graphics chip set, and directx support, this would replace my laptop! Oh, and a DVI/VGA out port would be nice...

Jerry Raia
03-10-2006, 06:12 PM
It's too big! I can carry a Smartphone and PPC Phone (which I do) and still have room for leftovers! This is the Newton of 2006! Is Motorola gonna make this?

jfreiman
03-10-2006, 08:13 PM
The size is right for me. The screen seems large enough to see/use and any bigger and the on screen thumb typing would, in my opinion be more difficult.

Ok, the battery life sucks, but I could live with 3 hours, however, I couldn't live without it being Vista/Media Center ready. I won't be buying XP based system which can't be upgraded.

Here's hoping Q1 next year comes quickly.

Mike Temporale
03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm liking the device. It's still a little early, but I can see it replacing my laptop when I'm out and about.

ctmagnus
03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
If this truly takes off, I foresee a new wave of the "man bag" market starting to form.

Jerry Raia
03-10-2006, 10:50 PM
If this truly takes off, I foresee a new wave of the "man bag" market starting to form.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Kris Kumar
03-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Channel9 video (http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=169962) featuring the man behind the Origami, and I thought it was the obvious form factor evolution. :)

randalllewis
03-11-2006, 05:36 AM
This is a gadget I can see a use for, but I want to wait for one that will work for longer than 3 hours. It reminds me of those pad like devices that Star Trek characters were sometimes seen carrying.

Kris Kumar
03-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Is Motorola gonna make this?

:worried:

&lt;the thought gave me a cold chill>

Jerry Raia
03-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Is Motorola gonna make this?

:worried:

&lt;the thought gave me a cold chill>

I just see them wanting to mess up bigger projects is all. :lol:

Sven Johannsen
03-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't get it. Is MS software somehow going to reduce hardware costs? The UMPC seems to sit around the 7" screen size. We already have 5" OQOs and 10" Motion Tablets. These things are in the $1700-$2200 range. I'm assuming that the OS running on them is not what is setting that price point. I would guess it is the technology required to scrunch all the required hardware into a small form factor. (And not require asbestos gloves to hold it.)

The hardware is there today to run this, but not at the price suggested. Honestly if Motion released an LS800 for $1000 tomorrow, FedEx would be delivering mine Tuesday. Yes, I'd love on of these to pair with my SP or PPCPE, I just figure the technology to allow it is evolving, and the market is a niche, keeping progress slow and prices high.

Oh, yea, and the connected lifestyle, like where the unit just connects so you can play your tunes and stuff...I'd like to see that. Wouldn't it be nice if your PPC or SP with BT running would just connect into your network when you got in range in your house (just like my SP does to my car HF set when i get into the car). Lets see that happen. Right now I can't even get a PPC with A2DP on it (that's another rant)

Kris Kumar
03-11-2006, 09:03 PM
The hardware is there today to run this, but not at the price suggested. ... I just figure the technology to allow it is evolving, and the market is a niche, keeping progress slow and prices high.

Good point. UMPC is definitely not an innovation in any shape or form. What Microsoft has done is indentified a gap and noticed that the hardware is getting cheaper and viable, and they have filled that gap.

SassKwatch
03-11-2006, 09:18 PM
After all the hype, the irony is that there is really nothing new here. Devices of this nature have been available in the past. We used this device (http://www.mitsubishi-mobile.com/products/pen/cp/amity_cp.htm) at work for a couple yr back when Win98 was the 'in' desktop OS of the day......and Win2K was *just* coming to market.

Undoubtedly, a few improvements have been made, but the overall concept is nearly identical.

ricksfiona
03-13-2006, 08:21 PM
One word: DualCor

me
03-14-2006, 03:33 AM
Is this any different than oQo and Flipstart?

If not, the idea is not new at all.

Toshiba already has a very small notebook out, the Libretto.