View Full Version : New Mobile TV Service From Cingular

Mike Temporale
03-08-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Cingular+launches+new+mobile+TV+service/2100-1039-6046551.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Cingular+launches+new+mobile+TV+service/2100-1039-6046551.html?part=dht&tag=nl.e703</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cingular is expected to announce on Tuesday an on-demand mobile TV service that runs over its new 3G wireless network. The service--called Cingular Video--allows viewers to select short three- to five-minute clips from 18 different channels, including selections from shows airing on the Cartoon Network, NBC and ESPN. Cingular has also partnered with media companies to offer exclusive content from sources such as Fox News, which will offer short clips of news, and HBO, which will offer clips of "The Sopranos," "Sex and the City," "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Entourage."</i><br /><br />Clips? I don't know that I want to watch just a clip. If I'm going to watch a video on my phone, chances are pretty good that I want more than a little clip. The exception, of course, is movie previews because there is nothing more available. The good news is that this service will be free of charge to Cingular customers who have the unlimited 3G data package ($20 a month).

xultar
03-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Clips :?: :?: :?: :?:

That is the same thing I said. What is Cigular smoking. Clips are commercials.

And they think it is kewl to try and sell us that under some crazy lipstick that it is free if you get some expensive ass data package when the service should be free. Essentially they are asking us to PAY FOR COMMERCIALS?

OMG I think Cingular has really lost their mind. They are truly showing their money grubbing mind and they aren't even being CREATIVE about it. They make me SICK!

AT&amp;T I want it BACK!

/rant

Kacey Green
03-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I can see the ads now on TV. Now you can watch TV on your Cingular 3G phone for FREE!

Bogus. :evil:

Jerry Raia
03-08-2006, 06:43 PM
AT&amp;T I want it BACK!

/rant

You just might get your wish. :)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10546

xultar
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
AT&amp;T I want it BACK!

/rant

You just might get your wish. :)

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10546

Sans Cingular idiots.

mobile
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
... to Cingular customers who have the unlimited 3G data package ($20 a month).

Did I miss something? Unlimited 3G data package for $20/month? When? How?

More detailed info is greatly appreciated.

Thx /// mobile

Mike Temporale
03-09-2006, 04:44 AM
... to Cingular customers who have the unlimited 3G data package ($20 a month).

Did I miss something? Unlimited 3G data package for $20/month? When? How?

More detailed info is greatly appreciated.

Wish I could help. I'm not with Cingular and I'm not in their coverage area. So I can't really comment. This is just what the article mentioned. You'll have to push the issue with your Cingular rep, or hope someone else here can offer some insight. :)

pacemkr
03-09-2006, 05:01 AM
What 3G data package?
Cingular doesnt even have any 3G phones.
I am with cingular and their unlimited data package for a pda is $45/month!! And thats nowhere near the speed of 3G.

Rocco Augusto
03-09-2006, 07:46 AM
What 3G data package?
Cingular doesnt even have any 3G phones.
I am with cingular and their unlimited data package for a pda is $45/month!! And thats nowhere near the speed of 3G.

Cingulars 3G network is launch right now in 16-17 major US cities with expected nationwide rollout within the next year in a half to two years. The service is the same aount as the current GPRS/EDGE MediaNet plans.

MediaNet - $19.99/month (entry level phones, feature phones, Windows Mobile Smartphone)
PDA Connect - $45.99/month w/o voice plan - $39.99 w/voice plan - (PDA/Pocket PC type devices)

You're paying the same amount for data no matter which type of data network you're on. Ton's of individual are already using the unlimited data plans for mobile web browsing, email checking, weather, news, streaming audio, streaming video, etc. This is just an added extra for the individuals that are fortunate enough to have UMTS/HSDPA. The reason that this is not offered on all devices is because the video is choppy and/or jumpy on EDGE and GPRS networks.

The main incentive for a customer to get a new 3G phone though would not be that they could use Cingular Video, it would be because these devices will be able to be teathered with your computer/data devices for high speed web access. Getting little 3-5 minute clips of movies/TV shows is just an added bonus. This wont be the only content either, eventually you'll be able to see interviews with cast and crew of upcoming movies or musicians. Music videos might not be to far off either.

Imagine watching a news clip of a late breaking news story without having to sit around and watch other news clips you aren't interested in. Live weather forcast. There is a lot of interesting things you'll be able to do in short video clips. Plus everyone seems to be forgeting that the service is free. You would be able to use it without a data package but you'll be paying the payper-use data rate of $0.03USD per KB and three to five minute long video clips start to add up after a while.