View Full Version : Problems with big WMA, DMR and ActiveSync

dfdaiker
03-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping someone has some ideas about this problem as I've run out of them.

I have a large (~170MB) WMA audiobook that I downloaded from Netlibrary through my local library's account. I downloaded the file on my desktop and played it fine in MP10. This installed the DRM for the book giving me three "syncs" to a mobile device. I then attempted to transfer this to my brand new T-Mobile SDA running WM5 and MP10 using ActiveSync 4.1.

I installed a 512MB miniSD card to hold the book and after a few minutes of fidling I figured out how to get Media Player and ActiveSync working together to transfer media to the card. My first attempt (and many others after) locked up both Media Player / ActiveSync (desktop) and the SDA (required taking the battery out to get it back). More attempts at this resulted in the same problem but all at different points in the transfer.

After Googling the problem I found many recomendations to us a card reader to transfer big files so I picked up one and the file copied over just fine (much faster too). But when I tried to play the file in MP10 (on the SDA) I got the this-is-a-DRMed-file error which makes sense because MP did not sync it.

I thought that maybe I could put the file where ActiveSync was going to put it and then sync the file agian and maybe MP/ActiveSync would see the file already there and just transfer the DRM stuff but that didn't work either.

I've looked around the Internet for ways to remove the DRM and I think I might be able to do that, but I don't want to have to resort to illegal acts to do something I should be able to do perfectly legally.

If anybody has any ideas on what I can try I would love to hear them.

Mike Temporale
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Are you sure it locked up? Given the slow transfer rates, it could take a really really long time to transfer that file.

dfdaiker
03-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Yea, I was doing most of my attempts while watching TV so I would start the job, and check back during the commercials. While it wasn't "locked up" I would see the % complete go up 10-20% every comercial break and then it stoped going up. I let it sit for 20 minutes or so once and no progress.

I just had a thought that it might be the computer I was using so I'm going to try it on another one.

dfdaiker
03-08-2006, 02:15 PM
No luck, the sync progressed quite well at about 1% every 5 seconds or so and then at 63% it stoped. It's been sitting at 63% for 15 minutes or so. I think 63% is where it locked up on my other computer... maybe the download of my WMA is bad. I'll try to play it through 63% and maybe try to download it agian.