View Full Version : Nokia Still Tops Thanks to Style and Fashion

Mike Temporale
03-03-2006, 07:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,39020336,39254927,00.htm' target='_blank'>http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,39020336,39254927,00.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In an industry of over-achievers, Nokia continues to over-achieve more than anyone else, according to the latest survey of mobile handset makers from analyst Gartner. The big six vendors all grew last year with Nokia the biggest winner of all. Sales of handsets grew by 21 percent in 2005, and totalled 816 million units. While its top six competitors saw modest double digit growth the Finnish giant grew by 35 percent, and sold 266 million units in 2005."</i><br /><br />Nokia still has the largest part of the market with 32.5%, followed not so closely by Motorola at 17.7% Motorola's market share is up 2.3% over 2004 numbers, while Samsung's market share rose by just 0.1% to 12.7%. It looks like Samsung has to step up their game a little if they want to keep up with Motorola and hope to make up some ground against Nokia.

Rocco Augusto
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
this has always suprised me because i cant stand nokia phones. i always thought they were either ugly or slow to respond. they do have the best track record in the industry though as far as electronic failure and defects go.

edgar
03-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree with optikasaint. I always thought they were butt ugly - can I say BUTT on this channel? (Mike feel free to edit :oops: ). We all know looks are important too!

I've had two Nokia's over the years, both plain candy bars provided by my employers. The employer had a rule, no new phone if the one you had worked (what kind of thought is that! - Jerry would never have a new phone every 3 mos). These things lasted forever.

One was a 62xx - I tried everything short of gasoline and a match to break that thing. Worked solid for 3+ years. Even after a drop in a full sink of water.

I've never been very excited about their looks though. Albeit, there is a brisk case/accessory market for them at the mall kiosks.

-Edgar