View Full Version : Mike - I know you beta tested for Tweaks... I have a question...

xultar
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Have you had the corruption issue that could come with moving the inbox to the Storage Card?

Do you notice slower speeds when acessing the net when the IE files are moved to the Storage Card?

Just want to know.

Thanks
X

Mike Temporale
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes, I did beta test it, and I wasn't alone. Jerry also had his hand in their. ;)

As for your question, I used this option on my old 5600. I haven't looked at doing this since I got my SP5m. No real reason why not, I just haven't. I really should look at doing it again because there isn't much room on the phone....

Anyway, no. I didn't have any issue with my miniSD card. From my expereince, I think the only thing you might notice is that accessing mail (or internet if you have moved those files too) is a little slower. Not really that noticable. But writing to a storage card is slower than to main memory. So there would be a little lag.

Of course, the huge advantage is that you won't loose your email if you have to reset your device.

At this point, I'm not going to do much to my phone until AKU2 is released and I have flashed my device. :mrgreen:

xultar
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I've seen that Imate has realeased AKU2. I guess it was only for 2 devices. You needed to have your IMEI on some sort of list to download from their site. The good thing is A2DP looks like it was included. 8O

I flashed my rom today. Don't ask me why. I've been getting so many memory error messages I couldn't take it. I couldn't even send MMS.

So this time I've installed to my storage card. I'm kind of glad that I did because it will make updating for AKU2 much easier because I know where I installed the apps stuff.

I am hoping and praying that AKU2 comes out. I don't want to get my heart broken. Even if it does because Cingular is my carrier I know they will cut it into a useless waste of time.

Mike Temporale
03-02-2006, 10:41 PM
I've seen that Imate has realeased AKU2. I guess it was only for 2 devices. You needed to have your IMEI on some sort of list to download from their site. The good thing is A2DP looks like it was included. 8O

Well, currently i-mate has only released this for the JAM. I'm watching for other models. But the early word that I have heard, is that it does not have A2DP. Now, it's still early, and that's just the i-mate JAM. Hardly enough to judge what everyone is going to do. :?

gai-jin
03-03-2006, 05:18 AM
On a related note, I think this very setting (for internet files moved to storage card) has messed up my new 2125...

Not sure exactly what caused it, but I went to access my ewallet program today, and the phone couldn't find it. Come to discover that it recognized my storage card today as storage card 2 for some reason. Then, since it wanted IE and mail files on STORAGE CARD, it created a folder in memory called STORAGE CARD. Now, I can't delete this folder, because it says it's in use. And I can't change the setting in tweaks back to store in windows, because the checkbox is greyed out. (I assume it sees the current settings is invalid, so it won't let me screw it up even more. :)

So, any suggestions on how I can fix this? I need to delete the folder STORAGE CARD, and get the phone to recognize the card correctly again.

I'm thinking I need to start by hunting down the reg key that tweaks changes for where to store this data...

gai-jin
03-03-2006, 05:59 AM
FWIW, I decided to take the easy way out... hard reset, sync, and re-install the whopping 2 programs I've put on it sofar.

Mike Temporale
03-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey gai-jin,

I've heard stories about WinMo creating a "Storage Card" folder in main memory when the phone is low on power and/or the storage card is getting close to full. Not sure if this was the case for you, but I think that's what I heard. I would have to go dig up the info to be sure.

gai-jin
03-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Hmm... I don't believe that was the case, but I couldn't say for sure.

Jerry Raia
03-04-2006, 06:16 PM
The issue with moving the inbox to the storage card had something to do with the FAT table getting corrupted over time. This was caused by a delay in finding the storage card when the device powers up. Someone here had a pretty good explanation of this but I can't recall who or where. I have never tried it because I don't need the potential headache.

xultar
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I decided to take the easy way out... hard reset, sync, and re-install the whopping 2 programs I've put on it sofar.

Only 2. May you are good. I have about 3 pages of apps all installed on the card. I'm really tryin to replace my PPc with this thing and I think it is working.

xultar
03-06-2006, 08:49 PM
The issue with moving the inbox to the storage card had something to do with the FAT table getting corrupted over time. This was caused by a delay in finding the storage card when the device powers up. Someone here had a pretty good explanation of this but I can't recall who or where. I have never tried it because I don't need the potential headache.

Potential headache. YOU got that right. The 2125 takes its' time to startup. So, I think I'l go with you on this and keep my inbox and IE files where they sit. Though I'm sure I'll have corruption due to the few program errors I get @ the beginning when I start up...xpress mail being one. I'm just about to dump that crap of a program.

gai-jin
03-06-2006, 10:30 PM
And, mine has done it again. :(

Am I the only one experiencing this issue? It's really quite frustrating, I wish I knew what was causing this... I'm going to leave the inbox and IE files on the phone next time and see if that fixes it...

Meanwhile, any suggested solutions before I reset again?

Gai-jin

ditch_azeroth
03-30-2006, 06:35 AM
i have a 512MB RiData MMC. For more than a year, it has served me well, in tandem with my voyager.

recently though, i've been experiencing problems with my memory card. when i store 256MB or so worth of files on the card, succeeding stored files become corrupt. with a little googling, i found a software called 7tools partition manager to see what the problem is. turns out that indeed, my memory card had bad sectors. i always thought that flash drives/memory cards can either be working or not - and not have bad sectors. i guess i was wrong.

the only thing i can surmise is that the cause of the problem is either of these things:
- not ejecting memory card properly when using card reader, bad sectors made due to sudden loss of power
- hot swapping of the voyager (see above)
- poor product build

God, i wish i got and SD instead of an MMC. anyway, anybody have a take on this? ^_^

Jerry Raia
03-30-2006, 07:04 AM
One suggestion I got once and have done to every card is format it on my PC as FAT32. I have had far fewer problems since doing that. I have had some still but they seem far less often.

ditch_azeroth
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
yeah, fat32 has better structure. i think i just bruised up my MMC... practically changing what i store in it every day for more than a year... its bound to get fried...

but im still using it though ^_^ i just have to make sure i dont exceed 256MB... if ever i do get to solve this problem, i'll make sure to post it here ^_^

tavosol
04-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Hi do you know how to hard reset my SMT 5600, cause it's freeze and cant't start up...it jumps from the first start up window (AUDIOVOX) to some kind of window that says:"Loading Cigarette...Marlboro"

I don't know what is this about, but before th problem appear I install an screen saver of Marlboro, and all starts when I tried to install a DVD movie on my phone, directly through ActiveSync.

HELP please!!!

Mike Temporale
04-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi do you know how to hard reset my SMT 5600, cause it's freeze and cant't start up...it jumps from the first start up window (AUDIOVOX) to some kind of window that says:"Loading Cigarette...Marlboro"

I don't know what is this about, but before th problem appear I install an screen saver of Marlboro, and all starts when I tried to install a DVD movie on my phone, directly through ActiveSync.

HELP please!!!

A simple search will turn up the answer:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7119

Enjoy!