View Full Version : The Carriers have Once Again Pulled Out Their Hatchets, the Victim This Time is Sling Media

Kris Kumar
02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/02/27/cingular-verizon-sprint-cz_td_0227slingbox.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/02/27/cingular-verizon-sprint-cz_td_0227slingbox.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"We have no immediate plans to run that service, What runs on our network are our services."</i><br /><br />The above statement was issued by Jeffrey Nelson of Verizon Wireless and <i>"that service"</i> is the Sling Media's Windows Mobile based service that lets the users of <a href="http://slingmedia.com/">Slingbox</a> view their recorded TV shows on their mobile devices. Why doesn't Verizon want their customers to watch their favorite recorded shows, because Verizon offers it own video service. :roll: The one thing I could not understand from this Forbes <a href="http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/02/27/cingular-verizon-sprint-cz_td_0227slingbox.html">article</a> is, why Sling Media is seeking consent from the carriers? Am I missing something, shouldn't a customer who is paying $$$ for the high speed data networks be allowed to pick and choose their own services? Which means Sling Media should be free to offer whatever services it feels is right for its customers. Maybe I have not read the fine print on the terms and conditions for data network access. That said, the carriers are known for their walled gardens and Verizon probably leads the pack, when it comes to nixing technology and services that benefit its customers without benefiting its own pockets. When will this end? I would like to take a moment to talk to the carriers - <i>please,</i> the high speed data networks have plenty of bandwidth for your own services and your customers', by blocking your customer's wishes you are turning them away from your own services.

edgar
02-28-2006, 04:57 PM
This is typical Verizon and why I use Cingular (which has its own multitude of foibles).

Verizon blocked most Bluetooth for a long time (still does to some extent). Their arguement is that they can guarantee better stability and better service by controlling all aspects.

To some extent this is true. We have all had stability issues by adding our own apps and Bluetooth is anything but perfect. But as you say, we pay for the service if we want to mess up ourselves then just give us a disclaimer notice and let us go.

I have heard no issues about Slingbox Media apps causing any problems except "my data transfer is slow and the picture is choppy". Which of course is not a slingbox fault. If I pay for unlimited data I expect I can use unlimited data with the app of my choice.

*sigh* Verizon is the worse money grubber of the bunch. Sprint/Nextel used to do this as well, not sure if they still do or not.

-Edgar

There's my two cents, do I get change back?

Mike Temporale
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
"We have no immediate plans to run that service, What runs on our network are our services."

That can't be any more idiotic. Do they really think that comments like this will encourage people to sign up to their network? People want to access their companies servers, the internet, and whatever proprietary services they need to do their work. No one wants a walled-garden anymore. :roll:

Rocco Augusto
02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
maybe verizon does what tmobile does and blocks the ports you would use for streamling video. tmobile has a unlimited internet browsing plan that is $5.99 a month, only problem is you cant stream video on it (i.e. - orb media).

im not sure because i havent had a verizon phone in a long time but maybe they dont allow the streaming video and only allow content that they offer :?

Kris Kumar
03-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Readers interested in the SlingPlayer Mobile edition should check out this post. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67015)

Sling Media has confirmed that the SlingPlayer Mobile edition will be available in Q1 2006 as direct download. More info in the above post.

aristoBrat
03-06-2006, 08:46 PM
The Terms of Service for both Verizon and Cingular state that you can NOT stream media across their wireless networks. My guess this is why Sling asked Verizon/Cingular. A carriers blessing put on the outside of their packaging would make their product look a lot better.

I haven't seen a T-Mobile TOS that prevents it. The $5.99/month t-zones plan has always been port blocked. T-Mobile's "full" internet plans do not block ports.

Kris Kumar
03-07-2006, 12:45 PM
The Terms of Service for both Verizon and Cingular state that you can NOT stream media across their wireless networks. My guess this is why Sling asked Verizon/Cingular. A carriers blessing put on the outside of their packaging would make their product look a lot better.

That makes sense. Without the approval if the carrier finds out that the customer is viewing streaming video, they can remove them from the unlimited plan and charge more, I believe Verizon did the same to folks who were using dial up networking (cell phone as modem for laptop). :evil: