View Full Version : Change to list style start menu on 2125?

gai-jin
02-28-2006, 04:22 AM
Okay, coming from a 5600, this icons only start menu is annoying... is there any way to change the 2125 to show small icons and text, in a list format, for the start menu?

Also, why on earth is the button above the volume mapped to the comm manager? Why would I use that on a regular basis? Is there a way to re-map the keys?

Gai-jin

LHBALESJR
02-28-2006, 06:21 AM
I've done it, but I can't find the link that tells how. I know there are two registry settings you have to change. One of the posts I read only mentioned changing one setting. It would go to list view but would revert back to the default view. Another post mentioned changing two settings and after I did this, it has stayed in list view. I also seem to have more available memory which I guess is due to the larger Icons not being loaded. I will try to find the post as soon as I can. I think it was on Modaco.com.

Mike Temporale
02-28-2006, 02:48 PM
I will try to find the post as soon as I can. I think it was on Modaco.com.

Bah, why not search here first? Here's the answer --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54315#54315 ;)

gai-jin, I didn't like the new menu at first, but once I realized that the keypad maps directly to the icon on the screen, I find it much faster to use. Key 1 maps to the top left, key 2 maps to the top center, key 3 maps to the top right, etc.... I don't know if you know this or not, but it makes a big difference. :)

LHBALESJR
03-01-2006, 05:51 AM
I will try to find the post as soon as I can. I think it was on Modaco.com.

Bah, why not search here first? Here's the answer --> http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=54315#54315 ;)

gai-jin, I didn't like the new menu at first, but once I realized that the keypad maps directly to the icon on the screen, I find it much faster to use. Key 1 maps to the top left, key 2 maps to the top center, key 3 maps to the top right, etc.... I don't know if you know this or not, but it makes a big difference. :)

Mike, I can't remember all the details but I used this method where you only change one value, and it reverts back to the icon view instead of list view. I read somewhere (not sure where) that you have to change this value in two different locations in order for it to stay in list view. Also, I think I picked up a lot of memory (maybe 3-5 mb) by using list view. Can someone else try it and see what they come up with?

LHBALESJR
03-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Mike,

I just found the link and you do have to change the value in two locations. Is it OK to post a link to another site? I could copy the other person's post but I don't know if that would be right to do or not. Let me know.

Mike Temporale
03-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Mike,

I just found the link and you do have to change the value in two locations. Is it OK to post a link to another site? I could copy the other person's post but I don't know if that would be right to do or not. Let me know.

Ya, for sure. I'm not against posting links to other sites. I was just saying that we have the answer too. ;) Links are always fine, unless they link to illegal or copyrighted material.

LHBALESJR
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
This post was from Howardforums and there are two places where the value has to be changed. All of the following is from a post by Cinguliano and a link to the original post is listed at the bottom.

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Start Menu
HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Rai\MS Start

In both locations, you need to modify the GridView value from 1 to 0. It is important that you change the setting in BOTH locations.

If you change the first location without changing the second one, when you navigate into one of the Start menu folders (Accessories or Games for example), the Start menu will turn into a grid again when you come out of that folder - and will stay like that until you reboot your phone again.

If you change the second location but not the first one, the Start menu will revert to the Grid View when you reboot the phone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=839288

gai-jin
03-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks! FWIW, I also just d/l an updated version of tweaks 2k2, and found an option there to do it as well.

Gai-jin

Jerry Raia
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
the keypad maps directly to the icon on the screen, I find it much faster to use. Key 1 maps to the top left, key 2 maps to the top center, key 3 maps to the top right, etc.... I don't know if you know this or not, but it makes a big difference. :)

I didn't know this! Good thing I check out this web site from time to time. :lol:

Mike Temporale
03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
I didn't know this! Good thing I check out this web site from time to time. :lol:

Yeah, it makes it so much faster and easier to use. Try it, you'll like it. ;)

Jerry Raia
03-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Yeah, it makes it so much faster and easier to use. Try it, you'll like it. ;)

I did, I do! :)

Cobrra
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks! FWIW, I also just d/l an updated version of tweaks 2k2, and found an option there to do it as well.

Gai-jin

Even the latest version of this (as of 3-17-06) does not work right on WM5.0 It has the same problem of jumping back to the grid mode as soon as you go into a folder,(Games, Accessories etc...) and back out. I already sent them an e-mail to that effect.