View Full Version : Comparison Shopping with Pricepirates

Jason Dunn
02-21-2006, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060217_pricepirates.html' target='_blank'>http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20060217_pricepirates.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sometimes the winning bid on eBay isn't the steal you hoped it would be. On occasion, the price on eBay ends up being higher than the price through traditional retail channels. Instead of second guessing and digging through hundreds of shopping sites and comparison options, Pricepirates pulls in eBay bid prices and compares them against shopping comparison sites, Amazon Marketplace for a more complete picture of your shopping options."</i><br /><br />This is a bit off-topic, but since I'm sure that many readers here have used eBay for buying gadgets and accessories, I thought it would be worth sharing - I've often found myself bidding on an item, only to have some mildly-insane bidder come along and jack up the price to the point where it's almost at full retail price. This tool helps give a more complete picture of the market value for your item. And hey, it's free!

Mike Temporale
02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
That's a pretty handy tool. Nice find.

I usually have all the prices in mind before I start looking on ebay for something. So I know how much I'm willing to pay.

dh
02-21-2006, 02:46 AM
That's a pretty handy tool. Nice find.

I usually have all the prices in mind before I start looking on ebay for something. So I know how much I'm willing to pay.
Same here. It's funny how the prices get pushed up so high. Sometimes I've seen auction prices higher than retail.

I don't seem to see many bargains these days.

dh

echosmyron
02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Same here. It's funny how the prices get pushed up so high. Sometimes I've seen auction prices higher than retail.

It's called "escalation of commitment". The bidder who must have the item at any cost is not unlike someone with a gambling problem.

I'm a firm believer in just bidding ONCE with the highest price you want to pay for an item. If you don't win, well it's because you were not willing to pay higher than someone else.

I don't trust incremental bidders since it's difficult to isolate the real ones from the shills.

PCMAN
02-22-2006, 03:04 AM
I disagree

if you bid your highest say $100
then another bidder comes alone and bids higher
then you lost the auction

if you didn't bid at all that bidder may have just bid only say $20 the first bid and not up and over $100

the way to win bids at the lowest price is to bid at the last few seconds and the best way to do that is with online programs that do it for you.
Like www.hammersnipe.com input it and it bids say at the last 5 7 or 10 seconds so the other bidders will not have time to outbid you.
I won many of auctions at very low prices this way and you don't need your computer on or at home. thats how I got my now sold smt5600, SD cards laptops eveything

I also downloaded this app a few days ago and it's not bad