View Full Version : Motorola No Longer has to be at Leading Edge, RAZR has Changed Everything

Kris Kumar
02-19-2006, 06:05 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060216/tc_nm/motorola_handsets_b_dc' target='_blank'>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060216/tc_nm/motorola_handsets_b_dc</a><br /><br /></div>It is not me who is making that bold statement. It is Ron Garriques, the president of Motorola's mobile phone division, who made that remark during the 3GSM interview with Reuters. Want to listen to what the overconfident Motorola has to say, read on:<br /><br /><i>"There was a time when Motorola was adamant it had to be first on the market with the technologically most advanced cell phones, but today Ron Garriques could not care less if Samsung beats him to it. The head of Motorola's mobile phone division, the world's second biggest phone maker with almost 19 percent of the global market, does not bat an eye when he looks at the latest Samsung (000830.KS) phone, which has the same shape as Motorola's thin RAZR phone except the Samsung is a 3G phone and his RAZR is not."</i><br /><br />That's not all, according to Ron - <i>"I can do that tomorrow, if I want to,"</i> and he goes on to point at the Samsung 3G model. :roll: The Reuters article makes for an interesting weekend reading. I can understand that lower production costs and higher sales volume are better guides for a company trying to increase profitability, but from a strategic point of view doesn't a company have to focus on newer technologies to better understand the challenges, benefits and to figure out how to fine tune it? Maybe I am wrong; maybe all this information can be sourced from external sources or from the competitors when the market is <i>really</i> ready. Then again, if the competition is coming out with new cutting edge models every six months and Motorola is taking a year to launch the same, won't Motorola lose its edge in the marketplace? The Reuters news article <i>indirectly</i> explains why Motorola is not interested in launching the GSM/UMTS Moto Q earlier. I still feel it is a mistake. What are your thoughts?

gears
02-19-2006, 10:33 PM
What makes it worse is the track history. The excellent MPx100 was binned, the MPx220 hardly appeared anywhere, the MPx has pretty much gone and now we're seeing yet more of the Moto Q but no delivery. :(

When can we say, "Hello Moto" to the Q?

Samsung have appeared virtually out of no-where with an excellent line up of Windows Mobile handsets, HTC and other companies are getting better and better by the day - who'd have thought that HTC could have built the Smartflip just a few short years after beginning the production of mobile phones?

Moto, you must watch your back and you MUST fight your corner. Don't get complacent, it could be the worst thing you ever do.

Rocco Augusto
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
When can we say, "Hello Moto" to the Q?...

or to any good WM smartphone produce by motorola

Kris Kumar
02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Moto, you must watch your back and you MUST fight your corner. Don't get complacent, it could be the worst thing you ever do.

Totally! The speed with which technology is evolving and the speed with which the prices are coming down, Motorola should definitely watch their back.

Mike Temporale
02-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Samsung have appeared virtually out of no-where with an excellent line up of Windows Mobile handsets, HTC and other companies are getting better and better by the day - who'd have thought that HTC could have built the Smartflip just a few short years after beginning the production of mobile phones?

No kidding. They sat on the i600 for so long, and now they've jumped out with the i300, and the i320 in a relatively short period of time. Unlike Moto.

Sadly, both of these companies have yet to release a WinMo5 device. Perhaps it's not the design, but the OS that is causing problems for these guys. :?

Sven Johannsen
02-20-2006, 06:56 AM
That's not all, according to Ron - "I can do that tomorrow, if I want to," and he goes on to point at the Samsung 3G model. :rotfl: They cant even get out the phones they announced 6 months ago or more. If anything the other companies have shown they can put out 'Motorola' phones faster than Motorola. Shame too. The MPX220 could still be a nice phone with some updates, like WM5, some more memory and a standard USB connector.

Jerry Raia
02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Is anyone really suprised by this?

Pete Teoh
02-20-2006, 03:12 PM
This reminds me of the attitude GM, Ford and Chrysler had in the face of competition from Asia. Look where they are now.

xultar
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, Why not go back and dig up brick phones and add kewl dial pads.

WTF is wrong with these people? Typical US companies. Using paint for product development instead of research and technology advancement.

LAZY
LAZY
LAZY.

I want to revoke my citzenship and move where people have kick ass phones.

Jerry Raia
02-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Look here now! Give Moto a break! I mean they haven't even gone through all the primary colors for the RAZR yet. They are still innovating!

xultar
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Look here now! Give Moto a break! I mean they haven't even gone through all the primary colors for the RAZR yet. They are still innovating!

Which makes me thing of a great thing we can do. Let's guess the next Razr and Slvr models.

OK...So comming up we have the
St. Patty's day (Green Razr)

I'm sure there will be a welcome to spring Sunflower Yellow Razr.

Ahhhh ooooo a GLOW IN THE DARK SLVR!

Come on y'all this can be fun!!!

Mike Temporale
02-21-2006, 02:04 AM
OK...So comming up we have the
St. Patty's day (Green Razr)

Ahhhh ooooo a GLOW IN THE DARK SLVR!

Come on y'all this can be fun!!!

8O Don't be giving them any ideas! Although, I think that sunflower one would do pretty well. Honestly. I don't like it, but I think a lot of people would buy it.

Kris Kumar
02-21-2006, 02:07 AM

They have something close..

Dolce &amp; Gabbana edition (http://www.i4u.com/article4726.html) of RAZR in gold.

Kris Kumar
02-21-2006, 02:09 AM
I would like to see polka dots edition. 8)

Kris Kumar
02-21-2006, 02:23 AM
In defence of Motorola, I would like to say that Microsoft is somewhat the master of this strategy - of not worrying about being at the cutting edge of technology in all areas, and once a market or technology matures, Microsoft is able to go in full force.

But then Microsoft doesn't
- take all technology areas lightly, usually when there are multiple options, they like to chose one and if the market ends up on the other side they are able to identify that and change. I am not sure Motorola can do that. They are not even focusing on new tech areas, they are not even evaluation any one option; they are only focusing on changing the color schemes.
- Microsoft has the Windows for desktops as a nice base for the revenue source, without any major competitors in sight and also twisting the arms of the consumers. Motorola doesn't have anything like that and has tons of competitors.

Sven Johannsen
02-21-2006, 04:21 AM
I would like to see polka dots edition. 8)

Well if we do get green, yellow and polka dot versions. Motorola could make a killing during the Tour de France ;)