View Full Version : Dumb WiFi Question(s)

dh
02-15-2006, 03:47 AM
Need some help here. I have my SP5 set up on Cingular and it works really well with their GPRS/Edge network.

I can also connect with 802.11b networks, both at home and when out and about.

My first question is about Internet Explorer. Since I have it set up to connect to the GPRS network, how do I get to connect via WiFi when I'm on an 802.11b connection? When I have a WiFi connection I'm trying to convince myself that my connection speed is faster than GPRS, but I don't think it is. Is there something I need to do to get off the Cingular network and onto mine?

Question #2 relates to browsing my home network. There does not seem to be a way to do this with the included applications. Is there a good third party app that would help me with this?

Thanks

Cheers! David

Mike Temporale
02-15-2006, 04:15 AM
My first question is about Internet Explorer. Since I have it set up to connect to the GPRS network, how do I get to connect via WiFi when I'm on an 802.11b connection? When I have a WiFi connection I'm trying to convince myself that my connection speed is faster than GPRS, but I don't think it is. Is there something I need to do to get off the Cingular network and onto mine?

In IE Mobile, press Menu / Tools / Options / Connections and you should have it set to automatically detect the network. When I am connected over WiFi, surfing and checking email are considerably faster

Question #2 relates to browsing my home network. There does not seem to be a way to do this with the included applications. Is there a good third party app that would help me with this?

Right, there's nothing built-in that would allow you to browse file shares and I can't think of any. You can just run a web interface on your local machines - if they have IIS. :D

dh
02-15-2006, 12:22 PM
In IE Mobile, press Menu / Tools / Options / Connections and you should have it set to automatically detect the network. When I am connected over WiFi, surfing and checking email are considerably faster

Hi Mike. In Mobile IE, I currently have to leave Automatically detect settings unchecked to be able to use the GPRS network. I have WAP Network selected in "Select Network"

If I change these settings I get an error (that my Internet connection is not configured properly - when using either GPRS or WiFi).

I'm not quite sure what to try next - there must be another setting somewhere?

davea0288
06-21-2006, 05:25 AM
I have an SDA with T-Mobile. GPRS/EDGE Work great only when "Automatically detect" is NOT checked. I also have WAP Network selected in "Select Network". WiFi works great when "Automatically detect" IS checked. There is no situation where they both will work with the same "Automatically detect" setting.

Do others have "Automatically detect" work properly on their SDA?
If so how'd you do it?

Thanks,

Hi Mike. In Mobile IE, I currently have to leave Automatically detect settings unchecked to be able to use the GPRS network. I have WAP Network selected in "Select Network"

If I change these settings I get an error (that my Internet connection is not configured properly - when using either GPRS or WiFi).

I'm not quite sure what to try next - there must be another setting somewhere?