View Full Version : Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution, Announces Q for UMTS

Jerry Raia
02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,6418_6368_23,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,6418_6368_23,00.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Showing its commitment to evolving the mobile office beyond the exclusivity of the corporate boardroom, Motorola today announced the UMTS version of its heralded Q device family. The first Q is expected to ship with CDMA/EVDO capabilities later this quarter with the newly unveiled version expected to be available for operator trials in late Q4 2006. Touted as the first family of devices that blend style with productivity; the Q offers an uncompromising combination of a great phone, powerful email and captivating entertainment features that deliver a strong business and personal mobile experience. People of all professions, interests and ambitions can be productive, in-touch and stylish whenever and wherever they choose."</i><br /><br />You have to hand it to Motorola. Now I suppose that one could argue this is not an advanced announcement. We all know they changed their policy so as only announce just seconds before the release of a new product. The Q had already been announced right? All that aside, Q4? By then the Q will be extinct! Oh wait I forgot, they are doing well reinventing the the RAZR every few months. OK, I guess a pink Q will solve this!

Sven Johannsen
02-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Like to see a Q actually available, before i get excited about a new version of it.

randalllewis
02-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Oh wait I forgot, they are doing well reinventing the the RAZR every few months. OK, I guess a pink Q will solve this!

The Green RAZR is coming for St. Patrick's Day and a series of pastel ones for Easter. Look for the Red, White and Blue RAZR's in July. An orange RAZR will come out this October, then look for Moto to start the color thing all over again with the SLVR and the PEBL.

Jerry Raia
02-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Makes sense, why make a new phone when you you can just keep making colored Easter Eggs. :lol:

Kris Kumar
02-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Wasn't the CDMA Q supposed to have been out in the Q4 of 2005?

Kris Kumar
02-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Have to admit, the Motorola PR folks are doing a fine job - this PR is titled "Motorola Expands QWERTY Revolution." :roll:

We haven't seen a single one in the store and it may still be months away, while the competitors have been offering QWERTY keyboard for ages and are getting thinner by exercising in the market (not in the R&amp;D department like Moto). :twisted:

Moto is in its own la-la land!

subzerohf
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS, which is available in test markets only. It will be months before it is widely available across North America, am I right?

Mike Temporale
02-16-2006, 02:15 AM
I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS, which is available in test markets only. It will be months before it is widely available across North America, am I right?

I think so, yes. But there's no reason to announce a UMTS version that won't be out for another 9 months. Especially when the device isn't even currently available! It would be wiser to keep quite, and focus your energy on getting the CDMA version out the door.

:?

Kris Kumar
02-16-2006, 02:46 AM
I actually don't mind because they're skipping EDGE for UMTS...

I always thought that UMTS devices are backward compatible with EDGE network. If UMTS is not available it falls back to EDGE and if EDGE is not available then fail on to GPRS. Isn't that correct?