View Full Version : WM 5.0 and ppc 6700

lancia
02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I just bought the ppc6700 with WM 5.0. Thumb, or one handed navigation for the phone is still very difficult. I spend a lot of time driving and want/need an application that will make it much easier to use the phone.

My old phone (SPH-i600) with WM 2003 SE had voice signal...by far the coolest app on the phone. The ppc 6700 doesn't come with anything like that.

Anyone have any suggestions on 3rd party software or tips and tricks with using contacts/phone with one hand while driving?

ARW
02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
You'll probably have better luck with PPC questions over at Pocket PC Thoughts as this site is focused on Smartphones.

lancia
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
You'll probably have better luck with PPC questions over at Pocket PC Thoughts as this site is focused on Smartphones.

PPC6700 is a smartphone

Mike Temporale
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
The 6700? Actually, that's a Pocket PC Phone Edition. It has a touch screen right? and start is in the upper left hand corner - that's a Pocket PC. ;)

It's always a source of confusion. It doesn't help that the OEMs aren't using the correct names either. :(

lancia
02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
The 6700? Actually, that's a Pocket PC Phone Edition. It has a touch screen right? and start is in the upper left hand corner - that's a Pocket PC. ;)

It's always a source of confusion. It doesn't help that the OEMs aren't using the correct names either. :(

You're right. On the pocketpc site it is listed as a pocket pc phone. On the box is says "Windows Powered" (which I think is MSFTs new branding for 5.0) and sprint labels it as a smartphone. My treo 600 was called a smartphone by Palm but I see the treo 700w is listed as a pocket pc phone.

Wow...they have "Intel-like" branding on this stuff.

Mike Temporale
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Microsoft has 2 labels; Pocket PC and Smartphone. Both are Windows Mobile based devices. The martet tends to call anything that does email and can make phone calls a smartphone (notice the small s )

I read an article recently about Verizon saying that the Treo 700 is not a Smartphone, but Palm calls it a Smartphone. Technically, Verizon is right, it's a Pocket PC. While Palm has always used the smartphone name, it's not always accurate. It does sound better.