View Full Version : Need advice on which device to move to...

CmptrDan
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello all...

I currently own both an i-mate PDA2K pocketpc phone and an audiovox SMT5600.

I've spent the past week or so reading through most of the threads in this forum, trying to get a handle on which HTC-manufactured device to move to next.

I've read the reviews on the i-mate SP5, SP5m and Cingular 2125 and think I've narrowed my search down to the following devices: i-mate SP5, SP5m, Cingular 2125, Qtek 8300 and 8310.

I'd like your thoughts and experiences with the software/hardware quality of the above devices and the support you've obtained by the re-seller (i-mate, Cingular, Qtek) such as responsiveness, patches, updates, bundled extras, bluetooth/wi-fi drivers, etc...

Thanks for taking a few minutes to read & reply.

Dan.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I think you'll find the quality of the devices is all about the same, since they all come from HTC and they are all based on the same platform.

I don't know if anyone one of those is better than the other. However, since you are living in Canada, you might have a lot of trouble with the Cingular device as it's locked to their network. I don't know if there is any unlocking service available for that device - as of yet.

I have found i-mate to be pretty good with patches. However, no OEM has been good with OS updates. That's just something we don't get to see very often. :(

CmptrDan
02-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Mike,

Playing field is even since I can get the 2125 unlocked (http://www.imei-check.co.uk/c600unlock.php) for $38 USD.

How does the quality of the bluetooth on the 2125 (v1.2) differ from the other devices (all v1.1)?

Thanks,

Dan.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Oh, cool. I didn't realize that they had already found a way to unlock the 2125. Usually it takes them a couple months. They're getting really good at that. ;)

As far as bluetooth, I have no idea.

HalM
02-04-2006, 02:32 PM
We have a SP5 and a SP5m. Their performance is identical. Now in the FWIW catagory: The SP5m feels better in the hand for some reason. Maybe it its the contoured sides. And the cover seems better engineered the way it attaches to the phone. The SP5 has slightly bigger keys that "may" be easier to use, at least the "9" key is easier.

Both are great. And as for the radio, they are the best cell phones we have had, easily beating any LG, older Nokia's, Audiovox, BB, Mpx220 or SMT5600 we have owned.