View Full Version : My Experiences with Installing Exchange 2003

Kris Kumar
01-31-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/exchange2003experience.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/faqs/activesync/exchange2003experience.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Recently, I decided to setup Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 Premium with Exchange 2003. I setup Exchange so I can get a better idea how to setup Exchange and synchronizing with Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5.0. Synchronizing with Exchange is called Exchange ActiveSync (not to be confused with using ActiveSync with your desktop) or AirSync. In this article I use the term AirSync to refer to synchronizing with Exchange."</i><br /><br />Chris De Herrera is talking about his experience with installing Exchange 2003 server and setting it up for over-the-air Exchange ActiveSync or AirSync. This should not be confused with the new push email system that is part of the much awaited MSFP release for the WM5.0 devices.

Ed Hansberry
01-31-2006, 10:04 PM
This should not be confused with the new push email system that is part of the much awaited MSFP release for the WM5.0 devices.
Actually, it is the same thing. What Chris did is finish out the server side by applying SP2. Now, once he gets MSFP, push will automatically switch from the SMS push WM5 supports to the HTTP thread WMP+MSFP supports.

HalM
01-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Ed, I am not sure about SBS (Run, Forrest, Run!!!) but for stand-alone Exchange don't forget the Mobile Administration add-in.

Kris Kumar
02-01-2006, 04:17 AM
This should not be confused with the new push email system that is part of the much awaited MSFP release for the WM5.0 devices.
Actually, it is the same thing. What Chris did is finish out the server side by applying SP2. Now, once he gets MSFP, push will automatically switch from the SMS push WM5 supports to the HTTP thread WMP+MSFP supports.

It is. :oops:

It's great that Microsoft designed it this way, I mean the ability for the device to be able to switch from SMS based email delivery to push email on its own, instead of making that switch happen on some configuration panel screen on the Exchange server. :-)

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM

Well, I don't know about "Automatically". Yes, there is nothing else to change on the server. However, you have to configure your device to use this method - which can also mean installing a cert if required.

But it is almost everything that you need to do. Hopefully we'll see MSFP in the not too distant future and then we can see the whole thing working.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 02:42 PM
[It's great that Microsoft designed it this way, I mean the ability for the device to be able to switch from SMS based email delivery to push email on its own, instead of making that switch happen on some configuration panel screen on the Exchange server. :-)

I haven't read Chris's post yet, but.... There is a setting in Exchange that you have to enable so that you can support both methods. Once everyone in your organization has switched over, you can and should turn this option off.

Ed Hansberry
02-01-2006, 04:09 PM

Well, I don't know about "Automatically". Yes, there is nothing else to change on the server. However, you have to configure your device to use this method - which can also mean installing a cert if required.
The cert would have to be installed regardless of how the email is updated - scheduled or push. AFAIK, the only device config is to tell it to update when new messages arrive. At that point, the device starts the heartbeat thread with the server instead of telling it the SMS address. As long is SP2 is there to answer, emails will start flowing as they arrive.

Ed Hansberry
02-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I haven't read Chris's post yet, but.... There is a setting in Exchange that you have to enable so that you can support both methods. Once everyone in your organization has switched over, you can and should turn this option off.
Installing SP2 will enable the following choices, assuming you haven't previously disabled some of them - but anything new is enabled by default.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/hansberry/2006/20060201-exchangesettings.gif

I don't recall enabling anything on this screen. The options behind device security though, where you enforce passwords, is off by default, and serves no purpose until a MSFP enabled device connects.

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
The cert would have to be installed regardless of how the email is updated - scheduled or push. AFAIK, the only device config is to tell it to update when new messages arrive. At that point, the device starts the heartbeat thread with the server instead of telling it the SMS address. As long is SP2 is there to answer, emails will start flowing as they arrive.

So there's no way - on the device, to tell it to use the SMS method? What if you're company hasn't upgraded, or if they have turned off push. There should be a way to configure a MSFP enabled device to use the older method. :?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't recall enabling anything on this screen.

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I beileve these are enabled by default.

The options behind device security though, where you enforce passwords, is off by default, and serves no purpose until a MSFP enabled device connects.

It's the second last checkbox under the device security button. Sorry, but I don't have access to the screens and my memory sucks. However, the second last checkbox deals with allowing older non MSFP devices to still connect and get their email.

Ed Hansberry
02-01-2006, 05:18 PM
So there's no way - on the device, to tell it to use the SMS method? What if you're company hasn't upgraded, or if they have turned off push. There should be a way to configure a MSFP enabled device to use the older method. :?
Yeah, I see what you mean. I don't know that. I guess when you tell it to sync when new mail arrives, you either have the choice of giving it an SMS address or the HTTP link, or you don't. I suspect there is a choice, but not having seen MSFP on the device...

And it may be intelligent enough to know. Say you tell it to sync on arrival. It knows your number from the SIM. It talks to the server on the next sync. If the server is SP2, it may default to HTTP, assuming it is not unchecked on the server. If it is SP1 or earlier, or even a version of MIS 2001/2002, then it would revert to SMS.