View Full Version : Ringtones..... anyone make their own?

mpaquette
01-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Anyone here make their own ringtones? I have some sound clips I'd like to use as ringtones, but have no idea what settings to use; bitrate? stereo? etc.

Mike Temporale
01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Well, you want to keep them as slim as possible without loosing too much quality. The larger the file, the longer it takes to load, and you may notice more delays as you try and answer calls with it.

I use Audacity for recording and cutting my audio. Sorry, I don't have a link handy, but it is free.

cooleaf
02-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Basically .wav with 22500hz and mono will do, and it sounds really good on my O2.

ditch_azeroth
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
basically, you can turn any kind of sound into a truetone ringtone (does that sound right? ^_^) it gets trickier if you want to make polyphonic or monophonic tones out of it...

anyway... just convert it to wav. there are some wares that you can install on your smartphone that allows you to have mp3 files as a ringtone... personally, i edit my ringtones using some fancy shmancy sound editor like sound forge and cut the bass wavelengths from my tones... so as not to bust my phone speakers ^_^

Mike Temporale
04-07-2006, 02:12 PM
i edit my ringtones using some fancy shmancy sound editor like sound forge and cut the bass wavelengths from my tones... so as not to bust my phone speakers ^_^

That's a great idea. I'll have to remember that next time I'm putting together a new ringtone. :mrgreen:

Mark Larson
04-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I also use Audacity - the last ringtone I made was Don't Cha by the Pussycat Dolls for my girlfriend, if that's an indication of how long ago that was. :lol: How would I go about cutting the bass out of my ringtones?

Rocco Augusto
04-09-2006, 01:14 AM
i just go to walmart.com and browse the music section until i find a 30 second sample i like and then download the sample mp3 which they usually give you the direct url :)

right now im rocking the old 60's batman theme and shaft theme ringtones ;)

-opti-

ditch_azeroth
04-12-2006, 08:29 AM
@mark, im not very familiar with audacity's menus but in sound forge, what i do is open the file, go to process>EQ>graphic and cut/lower the bass frequencies (these are the values left to the "1k" value). you can also use parametric or paragraphic instead of just graphic, but it tends to get trickier. changing the values of the audio file via the graphic equalizer has corresponding effects: 1k would usually mean the vocal part of the audio file, 320k and 600k would usually be the bass guitar, 80k and 160k the bass drum, 10k and 20k would be the hi-hat or the cymbals... and so on.

also, it makes your ringtones sound crispier... my friends always tell me that my phones got a freakishly clear sound in my smartphone: it does, but editing the wavelengths help a lot :lol:

Rocco Augusto
04-17-2006, 12:38 AM
i just go to walmart.com and browse the music section until i find a 30 second sample i like and then download the sample mp3 which they usually give you the direct url :)

right now im rocking the old 60's batman theme and shaft theme ringtones ;)

-opti-

haha, i spoke to soon. now they're using the microsoft's mms:// type server to have you sample music :(

mhynek
07-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I use Wavepad, sorry I don't have a link to it. It will show you a waveform of the song and let you choose a beginning and end to make your own "clip". It will also let you equalize, normalize, and amplify it just to name a few. You can also choose what bit rate you want as well as variable or fixed. You can also change the usual stuff like mono or stereo. It will convert mp3's to wav and vice versa. Not my product, just what I've been using, because it's easy to use and free.