View Full Version : Is Mobipocket available for Cingular 2125?

twestley
01-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Has anyone managed to install and use Mobipocket on Cingular 2125?

When I tried, it failed in the middle of installing file mobireader.smartphone.arm.cab. I assume that means the Mobipocket reader installer doesn't recognize the TI OMAP850 processor on the Cingular 2125.

The Mobipocket site describes a method for manually installing, but it appears to refer to copying the ARM cab file and executing it directly on the device.

tjfrench
01-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Mobipocket installed fine on my 2125. Just connected is via USB and it was recognized as a new device by the desktop Mobireader. It then downloaded and installed onto the 2125.

Has anyone managed to install and use Mobipocket on Cingular 2125?

When I tried, it failed in the middle of installing file mobireader.smartphone.arm.cab. I assume that means the Mobipocket reader installer doesn't recognize the TI OMAP850 processor on the Cingular 2125.

The Mobipocket site describes a method for manually installing, but it appears to refer to copying the ARM cab file and executing it directly on the device.

twestley
01-30-2006, 10:30 PM
OK, Mobipocket installed and is working for me now. However, ActiveSync is so unreliable, this phone is pretty much useless as a smartphone.

Mike Temporale
01-31-2006, 01:57 AM
ActiveSync is so unreliable, this phone is pretty much useless as a smartphone.

If you can describe your problems, maybe someone can help. :wink:

twestley
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
ActiveSync is so unreliable, this phone is pretty much useless as a smartphone.

If you can describe your problems, maybe someone can help. :wink:

I was on the phone yesterday with Cingular and Microsoft (who can't or won't help unless I pay a fee) for about 3 hours and the conclusion is that the phone is bad and they've arranged to replace it since I'm within 30 days of purchase.

I have a Toshiba e805 Pocket PC (WM 2003 SE) which works just fine with the same computer and same ActiveSync (4.1). But, the Cingular 2125 sometimes does not connect at all, sometimes connects and fails to start sync, sometimes starts sync and drops connection in the middle of sync, sometimes completes sync then drops connection, and sometimes (rarely) stays up long enough to install software (e.g. Mobipocket). But, device manager and "My Network Places" always show the Windows Mobile device as connected.

I've used different USB ports (avoiding hubs), different USB cables, all to no avail. I've turned off QoS as instructed in the MS troubleshooting guide. I've deleted and re-established partnerships, rebooted computer and hard reset phone. I've used msconfig to disable most everything in the Startup tab. Haven't visited the other tabs yet.

Conclusion: the phone is bad; will go ahead and replace it. I'll take my laptop to the store and perhaps we can assure it works before I walk out.

Jerry Raia
01-31-2006, 11:24 PM
I hope you get that all straightened out because the 2125 is a great phone.

zrdan
02-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Disable Firewall?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I have a Toshiba e805 Pocket PC (WM 2003 SE) which works just fine with the same computer and same ActiveSync (4.1). But, the Cingular 2125 sometimes does not connect at all, sometimes connects and fails to start sync, sometimes starts sync and drops connection in the middle of sync, sometimes completes sync then drops connection, and sometimes (rarely) stays up long enough to install software (e.g. Mobipocket). But, device manager and "My Network Places" always show the Windows Mobile device as connected.

Sounds like a firewall problem to me. There are some key issues here. a Windows Mobile 2003/2003se device using ActiveSync 4.1 is no different than using ActiveSync 3.8. In fact, when you connect the device, ActiveSync determines that you have a 2003 based device and then switches you back to the same old 3.8 code. When you connect a WinMo5 device, it then uses the newer 4.1 code. In version 4.1 there are numerous changes to the key underworkings of ActiveSync. While this has produced a number of firewall issues, it also creates a faster, and more powerful sync conduit. I would guess that if you disabled your firewall everything would be fine. If you still have the phone, or if the replacement acts in the same manner, gives this a try. Let us know

Rocco Augusto
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a firewall problem to me....

i was just going to suggest this. i had a customer the other day with the same problem, took a bit to figure it out since i started by turning off one startup item after another on his laptop we eventually found out that somehow ZoneAlarm was the problem.

bz999
02-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Sounds like a firewall problem to me....

i was just going to suggest this. i had a customer the other day with the same problem, took a bit to figure it out since i started by turning off one startup item after another on his laptop we eventually found out that somehow ZoneAlarm was the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

Scroll midway down the page. I had Zone Alarm issues. This guide should fix issues for most top firewalls out there.

twestley
02-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Sounds like a firewall problem to me. There are some key issues here. a Windows Mobile 2003/2003se device using ActiveSync 4.1 is no different than using ActiveSync 3.8. In fact, when you connect the device, ActiveSync determines that you have a 2003 based device and then switches you back to the same old 3.8 code. When you connect a WinMo5 device, it then uses the newer 4.1 code. In version 4.1 there are numerous changes to the key underworkings of ActiveSync. While this has produced a number of firewall issues, it also creates a faster, and more powerful sync conduit. I would guess that if you disabled your firewall everything would be fine. If you still have the phone, or if the replacement acts in the same manner, gives this a try. Let us know

Lucky for me and Cingular, their store was closed tonight for some company function. After reading Mike's comments, especially about a WM 2003 SE device using the old connection method and rereading the MS AS 4.1 troubleshooting page, I worked harder than ever at assuming I had a firewall problem. I killed all the relevant processes and lo, everything works much better.

Thanks everyone for really pushing me in the direction of the firewall, which I assumed was not the problem since the WM2003SE device worked.

Mike Temporale
02-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Cool, glad it works.

Microsoft's approach with AS4.1 is more than a little screwy. I understand why they had to make the changes inthe underlying technology, but if you're doing that for new devices, you should make it clear to people that the old device isn't using the same code. It should say something on the ActiveSync screen when you connect an older device. Something like "Windows Mobile 2003 SE Device Connected - Using ActiveSync 3.8" Oh well, what ya going to do. :(