View Full Version : Canadian Election Results via SMS

Jason Dunn
01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20060116/ctv_release_20060116_election/20060116' target='_blank'>http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20060116/ctv_release_20060116_election/20060116</a><br /><br /></div><i>"On federal election day, January 23, Canadians will be able to get up-to-the-minute local results via text message on mobile phones from CTV.ca and globeandmail.com. The innovative joint initiative between CTV and The Globe and Mail will be available, at no additional cost, to any Canadian mobile phone subscriber. In a North American first, CTV News viewers who simply text message their postal code to "ELECT" (35328) will receive real-time voting results from their riding after polls close from CTV.ca. Similarly, those looking for updates from The Globe and Mail can text the word "GLOBE" to "ELECT". Both CTV.ca and globeandmail.com will send updated polling information, national and provincial standings as well as other information exclusive to their own newsrooms."</i><br /><br />Us Canadians have an election coming up soon, and wanting to know who won will be especially important since this election could effectively topple the ruling party of the past 13 years in Canada. This is the first time I've seen election results available via SMS, at least in Canada. In your own countries, has SMS been used to communicate election results?

Jerry Raia
01-19-2006, 01:52 AM
That is very cool. I don't think we have done that here in the states yet.

Mike Temporale
01-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow! I'm a little surprised to see this being offered. I might just sign up for this service - just to see it work. Man, I hope it doesn't send an SMS each time they count a new ballot! I'll blow through my 100 free SMS's in no time. :lol:

Mike Temporale
01-25-2006, 10:49 PM
I signed up for this, just because I can. It's not like I couldn't watch it on my TV or computer. I just wanted to get live details on my phone.

Didn't get a single text message. What a joke.