View Full Version : 2125: damage insurance & wifi

choo_choo
01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
For those of you who have purchased the Cingular 2125, were you able to purchase damage insurance as well? I've heard that insurance wasn't available for phones costing over X dollars.

Also, anyone figure out how to get wifi working on the 2125? Thanks.

Mike Temporale
01-13-2006, 03:50 PM
For those of you who have purchased the Cingular 2125, were you able to purchase damage insurance as well? I've heard that insurance wasn't available for phones costing over X dollars.

I've heard a number of people comment that you can't get insurance on these phones. I think there are some 3rd party places that will insure your phone. But I haven't really bothered to look.

The 2125 doesn't have WiFi. I would be pretty impressed if you managed to get it working since it's missing the hardware to enable it. ;)

choo_choo
01-14-2006, 01:53 AM
Thanks, Mike. I thought wifi wasn't enabled. didn't realize the h/w wasn't there.

Rocco Augusto
01-14-2006, 07:50 AM

unfortunatly lockline (cingulars insurance company) doesn't insure any smartphone type devices due to their retail cost being to high.

stumpy
01-16-2006, 04:10 AM
When I bought my MPX220 from a mall I had the insurance added to it. I have losted on the river and I had lockline replace it. They complained about it and said that they will not replace it again. Well now I have a 2125 and still have the insurance on it. I dont know if I I lose this phone they will replace it.

I think WI-FI is bundled with this phone but the drivers and registry entry is missing. I would bet that the manufacturer would not produce 2 diferent models since it's cheaper to have one and leave it to HTC program the phone and any other refinements, like the antena and housing. I would like to see if someone can take the phone apart and look for a wifi/bluetooth chipset. I can't find the article where they had pictures inside of an i-mate SP5M, and it looked like the WI-FI was intergrated on the same chip as the Bluetooth. If thats the case from cost prospective I would tend to believe that the manufacturer would not spend additional money on testing different hardware just to save pennies. If someone with a i-mate would post the drivers and registry entries I would like to try to see if WI-FI can be enabled on a 2125.

Mike Temporale
01-16-2006, 04:21 AM
I think WI-FI is bundled with this phone but the drivers and registry entry is missing.

It's not. There is no WiFi in the phone. HTC can easily remove the chips as per the clients (Cingular) request. The OS still has all the drivers and whatnot. It's smart enough to realize there is no hardware. My old Tanager was the same way with Bluetooth. My system settings allowed me to try and activate bluetooth. However, when I did, I got an error message saying that there is no hardware to support this.

You're welcome to try, but I'm 99% sure what the results will be. :wink:

stumpy
01-16-2006, 04:58 AM
Mike do you have the link to the internal pictures of i-mate SP5. Because I thought I saw the Bluetooth and WI-FI on the same chip. I'm also thinking that we would need to have Comm Manager software that has the WI-FI part since on the 2125 has only the Bluetooth.

Thanks

Mike Temporale
01-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Mike do you have the link to the internal pictures of i-mate SP5. Because I thought I saw the Bluetooth and WI-FI on the same chip.

Well, I'm not surprised that it would be that way on the SP5, since it should have both. :wink: You would have to search the FCC website for internal pictures like that, and the FCC's site and me just don't get along. ;)

I'm also thinking that we would need to have Comm Manager software that has the WI-FI part since on the 2125 has only the Bluetooth.

Thanks

Comm Manager would be the same application on both devices. It's just smart enough to realize that the hardware is missing and therefore doesn't show that option.

stumpy
01-16-2006, 06:41 AM
Maybe I'm just grasping at straws but if someone with an i-mate SP5 could copy and post CommManager.exe I would replace my CommManager.exe to see if we can get any further. Mike I found those pictures on the FCC's website but I remember someone actually having the chips circled in red and identified.

bz999
01-16-2006, 07:11 PM

I've heard a number of people comment that you can't get insurance on these phones. I think there are some 3rd party places that will insure your phone. But I haven't really bothered to look.

The 2125 doesn't have WiFi. I would be pretty impressed if you managed to get it working since it's missing the hardware to enable it. ;)

Stumpy .. youll be alright... if a cingular rep happens to insure it accidently .. they will cover the phone and take a loss... dont let them know ahead of time .. just lookover bill and verify your a indeed still paying insurance .. they deactivated my for my 2125... hence situation with my smt5600 .. now im waiting for the stores to recieve the 2125 that is its replacement....

IM NOT CONDONING ANY INSURANCE FRAUD by telling you to find DUMB cingular reps to insure it .. just telling how the system works.

ANY WORD WHEN THE 2125 WILL BE IN STORES!!! JEEEEEEEEEEZ!!! lol.

squeeze
01-17-2006, 06:45 AM

They have it in the Orange County store in Irvine/Newport Beach. It's on N. Bristol and Jamboree.

I just bought my 2125. Thanks.

Mike Temporale
01-17-2006, 02:37 PM

They have it in the Orange County store in Irvine/Newport Beach. It's on N. Bristol and Jamboree.

Cool. I hope you like it!

And if they don't have it in the stores near you, tell them to order you one. They are available. ;)

bz999
01-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Well grrrrrrrrrreat. Lol. i was jsut back in OC last month. You would think Ausitn TX could pull in the phone quickly with all the tech stuff hee.. and yeah .. austin has 3G stuff!!! so come on cingular!!! thanks for info though man!!!!

Edited for language by MT

SirHelm
01-19-2006, 07:06 AM
I ordered my 2125 via the Cingular's web priemer page. (using Employee discount access from the company I work for). I was able to get the 2125 for 99.00 after the discounts.

However.......

Get the phone today... and it looks like it was a return. Poorly re-packaged and the phone was already fully charged. Charged for 3 hours (just in case). Go to turn it on, and it will not turn on or anything. Spoke to Cingular tech support and they think it is a bad battery. Test with the AC and it powers on... does a cold reboot, and comes back on. Shows full battery and full signal. So I play with and try and dial out. It dials the number and immediatly disconnects. So I call Cingular back up... and they say power down and remove the battery and Sim card. I try and power off, and no luck. The power button is hosed. So I ask them to exchange the device.

Well it takes 3 hours and 6 different people to get me to the preimer support exchange/return people. They tell me they will ship a replacement out in 2 days. So now I have to wait until at least Monday.

I am PISSED.

Anyone else have any issues with the 2125???

Thanks

SH

rmomm
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
If you logon to the Cingular website and manage your account online, you can add one of three different flavors of insurance. I added one just fine - it appears I am covered!