View Full Version : How To Store Your Email on Your Storage Card

Mike Temporale
01-12-2006, 05:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archive/2006/01/09/510839.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archive/2006/01/09/510839.aspx</a><br /><br /></div>Do you have lots of email and lots of attachements? Are you feeling the pinch of limited memory? Well, the solution is here. With a couple quick and easy registery changes, you can have all your email and attachments stored on your storage card. This change is for Windows Mobile 5 devices. I'm not sure if it will work on prior versions or not. You should always backup and record the original settings before you make any changes to your registry. <br /><br />Here's what you need to do; Grab you're registry editor and locate the following key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MAPI. Create a new string value key called AttachPath and set the value to: \\Storage Card\\Mail\\Attachments Then, create another new string value key called PropertyPath and set its value to: \\Storage Card\\Mail <br /><br />That's it, you're done! Restart your phone and everything should be good. :)

Jerry Raia
01-12-2006, 05:31 PM
The maker of Tweaks2k2.Net warns that moving the inbox to the storage card could corrupt the FAT and make the card unusable. The above tweak seems to just be for attachments so I'm not sure if the same caution applies.

John Cody
01-14-2006, 04:08 AM
In regard to the corruption....My guess is that SMS messages are also stored in the "Inbox" database. So, if you point the database to be stored on a storage card with this hack, then when an SMS messges comes in, it will "wake" up the smartphone (come out of standby), and many times I have seen that storage cards don't wake up very fast and any attempts to read/write to them too soon after a wake-up event will fail, and if you are doing a write operation, may result in a corrupted FAT. If there is a way to just store attachments on a storage card (but leave the email body data in the internal phone memory), then this arrangment would probably have a much lower risk of FAT corruption because SMS's don't have attachments (so no write operation will be attempted to the staorage card) and any Send/Receive operation performed to download an attachment to an email would probably give sufficient time for the storage card to wake up before the attachment data needs to be stored.

But, again, this is just a guess as for the reason of corruption.

Using the different hack of pointing the pocket internet explorer temp files setting to the storage card would have little risk of this corruption because the phone and storage card are fully "awake" before any write operation is performed.

Jerry Raia
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
That makes sense to me.

splitsecond
01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I just tried this on my Cingular 2125 with no luck. I thought it may of been due to the fact that the folders didn't actually exist so I created them... same thing.

Mike Temporale
01-15-2006, 02:16 AM
I just tried this on my Cingular 2125 with no luck. I thought it may of been due to the fact that the folders didn't actually exist so I created them... same thing.

Did you restart after? Double check that there isn't a typo in those strings. I don't imagine it would automatically remove the old files. You might have to delete those yourself. Also, you'll need to do a send recieve for all your mail to be downloaded to the new location.