View Full Version : dvd ripping

sickfish
01-12-2006, 04:50 AM
i need a program that will rip a dvd to my computer so i can resize it down to my phone.....it would be nice if the program was free and can do regular movie dvds. i need help soon

Rocco Augusto
01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
what type of phone do you have? WM5 phones have larger screen resolutions than WM2003SE and previous phones.

juni
01-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Ok, it is complicated but the end result is good :)

(1) Use Smartripper to extract the files from your dvd (I usually have to start playing the dvd with Power-DVD and then pause it in order for Smartripper to get access to the encrypted blocks.

(2) Open the extracted files in DVD2AVI and set all the settings. I downsample the sound to 44KHz. Save the DVD2AVI project. This will start extracting the huge sound file (wav).

(3) Minimize DVD2AVI and then open up the project in TMPGenc (I use the plus version). Select the DVD2AVI project file as video file and the huge saved wav file as soundfile. Let TMPGenc create an even bigger mpeg-2 mpg file.

(4) After an hour or so...encode the big mpg file to xvid avi with PocketDivXEncoder.

(5) Use The Core Pocket Media Player on your device to view the movie (excellent quality, makes every symbian phone owner green with envy). :)

I'm not sure, but I think the Xvid codec is better for small devices than DivX.

Now, I'm sure you'd rather have one single program do all this :D

Edit: I see SmartRipper (which is the program you really needed) has gone becasue of the new legislation here in Finland) :(

Mike Temporale
01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
I would recommend DVD Shrink

juni
01-17-2006, 08:10 AM
I found an easier way (although not free). I've been testing out DVD Catalyst and it truly is easy to use and works well. I was happy to pay for the no hassle conversions :).