View Full Version : WM5.0 bluetooth headset w/WM10 & Audible...workarounds?

eric
01-12-2006, 12:27 AM
After using pocket PC's for several years, I switched to Cingular from T-mobile & purchased the SMT-5600. 20 days later after spending a shocking number of hours digesting info on this website I discovered the Cingular 2125.

I became addicted to Audible & their awesome selection of books w/the pocket pc. I wanted to continue listening to audio books & the occasional WM10 file through my BT earpiece with my SMT-5600. I eventually found a work around with the SMT-5600 using a program called SP Task Manager to allow me to use the BT earpiece w/Audible or WM10. Not a perfect solution but take into account the size of the SMT-5600 (and the lack of bugs) & my hp6315 was getting ready to visit Ebay!

I read impressions of the 2125 & realized the smartphone I had just fallen in love with needed to be replaced already! (and luckily within Cingular's 30 day return window). I was able to exchange now have the 2125!

Love the screen!, my reception seems significantly improved (my house is in a spotty Cingular area), and don't mind the hump.

Unfortunately SP Task Manager doesn't seem to be able to close cdial.exe which is what interferes (at least with the SMT5600) with allowing the BT earpiece to be used with Audible & WM10.

Has anyone found a workaround or have suggestions? I listen to Audible a lot w/an earpiece & HATE using corded earphones. Corded earphones seem like a big step backward after several years of BT.

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance for your help (AND ALL THE RESEARCH MATERIAL FOR MY NEW SMARTPHONE!).

Mike Temporale
01-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Welcome!

You have 2 options, and I wouldn't really call them options, because there's not much you can do.

First, You can bug the developer for a newer version that supports Windows Mobile 5. With any luck, this is already in development.

Second, Microsoft is planning an update, commonly known as AKU2. It will be adding support for stereo bluetooth headsets. With any luck, Cingular will release that update, and thus you'll be able to patch your phone and enjoy bluetooth stereo headsets without the use of some third party tools. Now, I should warn you, there is a good chance that Cingular won't release the update. Which means, no fun for you. :(

rdayan
01-12-2006, 05:40 AM
How are you finding the audible interface on the 2125? I downloaded the wm5 version and it occupies only a corner of the screen on my 2125, which is annoying... I was wondering if there is a different version we should try.

As for headsets - I have given up on BT with my former smt5600, and will wait before I try again with the 2125. But I share your dislike of cords. In the meantime I am using retractable headsets /headphones. I found a really affordable and surprisingly durable headset by Logitech, the "Mobile Retractable Earbud 2.5 mm" - $9 shipped http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/9801450403nr.html - and that's what I use daily for calling and listening to audible, streamilng radio, etc... A fancier (but less durable) mono option is the SPV AA headset - with built in mic, volume control and a button to hang up the phone (http://www.pc-mobile.net/spvaa.htm). I also used it with the short cord of Sony fontopia's headphones for an elegant stereo solution. However, two of these already died on me in less than 6 months.

The other alternative for music and video is a native 2.5 mm stereo headset like the ones from from Boxwave (http://www.boxwave.com/products/minibuds/index.htm).

Hope this helps.

eric
01-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Mike-- I REALLY hope that the AKU2 is added to cingular. I tried stereo BT headphones just in case and of course they didn't work--they bonded, but that was it. If there is someone I should email a "wish list" to I certainly would. I can't imagine being alone with wanting a wire free option for audio with a BT equipped smartphone.

Rdayan--Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out the links you provided.

I actually contacted Audible about the postage stamp sized skin and received this response this morning..."This is part of the reason why the HTC 2125 QVGA is not listed in our compatible device list, threrefore, the is no gurantee that it will function properly with this device. Unfortunately, there aren't any current plans for accomadating QVGA screen from HTA with Audible Player."

I think that Audible has excellent content, and have no qualms with the website or DRM, but the software support leaves something to be desired. All they have to do is create a QVGA skin (since I don't know how to create skins, maybe it is complicated & I'm just too uninformed to realize it). If anyone knows of an alternate skin for Audible let us know! :D

rdayan
01-12-2006, 07:36 PM
changing the skin is easy - i simply resized the images. But then the scrolling text for the content played and the volume control stay small... Nevertheless I am sure it is indeed a small fix, and they should take the five minute it will take to do it. I will email them as well.