View Full Version : Best of 2006: What Does the Future Hold?

Mike Temporale
01-03-2006, 07:00 PM
We've spent some time over the last couple of days in 2005, talking about the best and worst Windows Mobile Smartphone <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9976">device,</a> <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9993">feature,</a> and <a href="http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9988">manufacturer.</a> All this talking about the past got me wondering about the future. Could 2006 finally be the break-out year for the Smartphone? I think the Smartphone did pretty good in 2005 - thanks to the HTC Typhoon, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. So, what are you looking forward to in 2006? Maybe a Smartphone with GPS built-in, or how about a Smartphone with a large flash based memory to compete with the Nano (I'm not sure that a phone even competes with the Nano, but whatever!), or maybe you just want a flip-style Smartphone that <i>works</i>. Share your thoughts and dreams for 2006 with us!

hotdram
01-03-2006, 07:36 PM
That's funny Mike,
The other day I was going to pose a question similar to yours: What would your dream Smartphone have on it?

You mentioned a big one for me: built in GPS

-WiFi on a U.S. carrier's (ala Cingular 2125) phone would be nice (might as well use the hump.
-Built in GPS (as mentioned)
-Ability to receive Sirius Satellite Radio (if I am going to dream, I'll go big)
-Larger memory (Possibly a little micro hard drive????)
-2.0 MP camera with flash and zoom
- TV Tuner (why not)

I would like (as I am sure many would) to consolidate my GPS, cellphone an PPC into one device. The Smartphone platform is getting very close to this :)

~Rob

exchguy
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Next round of smartphones really need UMTS/HSDPA data support with EDGE/GPRS fallback. All WM devices on the GSM side seem to always be lagging in data speeds. I had a Nokia that I bought in early 2004 that had EDGE, and the 2125 (out nearly 2 years later) is only the first WM Smartphone to get EDGE. GPS would also be nice. Microsoft should also dump Pocket IE and buy Opera instead.

Kris Kumar
01-04-2006, 03:46 AM
My wish list is small and it is possible in 2006 ;-)
- UMTS for GSM or EV-DO for CDMA
- Pull out QWERTY keypad

I am not talking about Moto Q. I want the device to have the size similar to that of the 2125 or the keyboard to be pull out or fold out.

dstrauss
01-05-2006, 05:44 PM
What I want for Christmas (2006):

1. Smartphone same size as 2125 WITHOUT the hump
2. Broadband for GMS - whatever flavor - with EDGE fallback
3. WiFi (802.11b would be okay)
4. TOUCHSCREEN (yes, let me tap/write long replies - forget T9)
5. Landscape option for browsing
6. 1gb built in flash memory
:D

thefunkunfaked
01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I want Cingular to add New York to it's current list of 16 cities with 3G UMTS infrastructure.

I believe that by the end of 2006, the biggest wave is going to be the convergence (seamlessly roaming between different network mode types).

Rocco Augusto
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
i want to see the new version of WM which brings the SP and PPC platform closer together.... i also want the three seashells from demolition man :)

thefunkunfaked
01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh.. and I want the U.S. Military to free up the 2100 Mhz band here :lol:

..and I think the more advanced features will ultimately be geared towards mobile devices of the XDA nature.. In other words, there will be a new market territory for XDA. I could then see PDAs being phased out, since mobility and network modes are essential to PDA design for now and for the future.

The way I look at it, XDAs are Smartphones too. It's just the upper echelon.

Killer Diller
01-14-2006, 09:34 PM
That's funny Mike,
The other day I was going to pose a question similar to yours: What would your dream Smartphone have on it?

You mentioned a big one for me: built in GPS

-WiFi on a U.S. carrier's (ala Cingular 2125) phone would be nice (might as well use the hump.
-Built in GPS (as mentioned)
-Ability to receive Sirius Satellite Radio (if I am going to dream, I'll go big)
-Larger memory (Possibly a little micro hard drive????)
-2.0 MP camera with flash and zoom
- TV Tuner (why not)

I would like (as I am sure many would) to consolidate my GPS, cellphone an PPC into one device. The Smartphone platform is getting very close to this :)

~Rob

Streaming XM Satellite radio is already possible.