View Full Version : I-mate SP3 / MS Mobile Question

Tony Rylow
12-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Will I be able to sync my contacts/mail/calendar with my exchange server? Is this supported?

Havent been able to find much on this and would appreciate any input...

Kris Kumar
12-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Short answer - Yes. :)

Q. What types of data can be synchronized using Exchange ActiveSync?
A.

Exchange ActiveSync enables you to synchronize your e-mail messages, calendar, and contacts lists in your Exchange Server 2003 mailbox with a Microsoft Windows Mobile–based device.

Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync FAQ (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/actsyncfaq.mspx)

Tony Rylow
12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. This definitely makes me want to switch more.. Now I just need to find a SP3i at a price that I can afford...

Kris Kumar
12-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. This definitely makes me want to switch more.. Now I just need to find a SP3i at a price that I can afford...

You are welcome.

Are you looking for a new SP3i or a used one?

Any reason why you are specifically looking for the SP3i? The Cingular 2125 that was announced recently is a better model compared to the SP3i. And with the Cingular service it is pretty inexpensive.

Also now that the i-mate SP5 (successor of SP3i) is available and also Cingular 2125. I am sure eBay will have a lot of used SP3i. ;-)

Tony Rylow
12-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Prefer new, but if I can find something used in excellent shape, that would work as well.

Looking at the SP3i for no reason in particular other than it looks quite nice and is fairly small.

As far as the SP5 goes, its just a bit out of my price range. While wifi is nice, i dont think I will need it too much on a phone, since I have the data plan already from Cingular.

I am tied into a contract with Cingular so I have to just buy the phone seperately.

Another concern with the 2125 is the power button... Definitely dont want a device with a hard to push power button. That and the fact that the only one on ebay right now is just as expensive as the SP5.

Kris Kumar
12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the power button. :) I have the 2125. I have trained myself to operate that quirky button.

SP5 is in the same category as the SP3i when it comes to looks. But I guess you are right about the price. That is what is holding me back.

Do you work for a big corporation, then Cingular offer's discounts to employees (directly) for purchasing handset. That is how I got mine. Just a thought.

Tony Rylow
12-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Yes, we do have a discount with Cingular, i'll have to look into what they can do for me. I got a substantial discount on my Razr when I switched from AT&T and signed a contract.

Mike Temporale
12-27-2005, 02:44 AM
The other advantage with the Cing2125 is that it's running WinMo5. While it doesn't have the MSFP installed, at least there is a chance that you could use it. While WinMo2003 will not be getting MSFP.

So, if you're workplace roles out Exchange Push email, and Cingular releases the ROM update for MSFP then you'll have always on email with your 2125. 8)

Tony Rylow
12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Push mail would be quite nice. I tried calling Cingular business yesterday, but they were closed. Hopefully I will have a chance today after work.

Does cingular put out new rom updates for these often?

Mike Temporale
12-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Well... No, they haven't. However, there hasn't really been any updates like this before. Microsoft keeps saying that everyone is interested in this update and that it is in their best interest. Only time will tell.

Besides, it's not like Cingular is the only place that hasn't released an update. Most haven't (Sierra and Verizon excluded) :roll:

Kris Kumar
12-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Does cingular put out new rom updates for these often?

I don't think they put out a ROM update for the SMT5600. But I believe the 2125 would be treated differently.

Tony Rylow
12-28-2005, 04:37 PM
So I checked out the 2125 with my discounts it should be about $279. I tried to call and order on Monday but the business group was closed for the holiday. I forgot about it yesterday due to other commitments.

I had some free time at work today and went to order and they are OUT OF STOCK!!!

Now I have to keep an eye on the site to get one when there are more.

Kris Kumar
12-29-2005, 02:01 PM
So I checked out the 2125 with my discounts it should be about $279.

I believe you can do better. Are they quoting a $600+ base price and then offering discounts.

If you call the regular Cingular retail (not Premier) people, and give them the employee discount number, they will give you the discount on the $299 price.

Tony Rylow
12-29-2005, 03:42 PM
After debating on this a while, I decided I like the look of the SP3i and placed an order for this and a 1GB miniSD card. With overnight shipping. Cant wait for it to show up tomorrow!