View Full Version : Motorola i930 from Nextel... anyone else?

Moleman
12-21-2005, 10:11 PM
just purchased an i930 as my company wanted me to have email on the go and I wanted to merge my Axim X5 PPC into a phone also. Have had it for about a week now and love it. Anyone else got what yet, if so, what software have you installed? I have only got the trial for Flexwallet 2006 so far, as it was an app that I ran on my Ax. Wish Journal bar also ported to smartphone...

The MoleMan

Kris Kumar
12-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I am reviewing a unit right now. I like the device. Apart from the build, I like some of customizations that Moto did for this Smartphone. Especially the large external screen does more than display clock.

Have fun. You got a great phone!

Wondering if you tried out the GPS apps. I finally got them activated and trying out as I type. Pretty impressed.

Haven't installed many apps yet. :-( That will be the next step.

TIP: Get the mini-keyboard accessory. And I am sure you would enjoy E-Mailing from this device. ;-)

Moleman
12-22-2005, 02:28 PM
got the keyboard with the phone. got company to purchase as car charger and travel charger were the same as for my old i730. I am looking as M$ Streets & Trips Mobile for GPS solution. The idea being that I could create a trip on my laptop and copy it to the smartphone. The question is will the app see the built in GPS or does it rely on com/usb connected GPS. As for the external screen has you had any success with changing the background? what res and size? I thought I had it down, but a my red image went blue so I must have something wrong.

hotdram
12-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Moleman,
That is one of the drawbacks to MS S/T, you can not create a route on the laptop and then port it over to your phone running MS S/T Smartphone edition. I have MS S/T 2006 (it comes with S/T for PPC and Smartphone). It really only gives you a map on the PPC or Smartphone and will indicate your position if you have a GPS hooked up to it. You can look up addresses and points of interest, but not route to them. Do not know if it will accept a built in GPS signal or not. S/T also will not auto route on the Smartphone or PPC. Try Mapopolis (www.mapopolis.com) or CoPilotLive6 (www.alk.com), they offer autorouting on the phone.
Here is a link to a thread on this site I have going right now about these Click Here (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9935&highlight=)

Dissappointed with MS S/T as a mobile solution,
~Rob

Moleman
12-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Found a downside to the i930... They (Nextel/Sprint) have it locked down so that only signed apps can be installed. So all of the little apps that I had on my PPC, their smartphone version will not install. I will be talking to Nextel about unlocking the phone. I want my Convert-It and others back.

jump23
01-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I have one. It can be unlocked to run any smartphone apps. Also after unlocking you can get the subsidy unlock code and use it with other providers. They have to be GSM or iDen of course. I got mine for work then we had some cost cutbacks so they cut my cell service so I got Cingular. Now I switch between my RAZR and my 930 on Cingulars service.

Moleman
01-02-2006, 06:53 PM
How can it be unlocked for apps? I haven't found any where to get the inforamtion to do it and Nextel says no. Found several groups where they are working in it, but not a solution. How did you do yours?

Geekster
02-20-2006, 09:36 AM
I have one. It can be unlocked to run any smartphone apps. Also after unlocking you can get the subsidy unlock code and use it with other providers. They have to be GSM or iDen of course. I got mine for work then we had some cost cutbacks so they cut my cell service so I got Cingular. Now I switch between my RAZR and my 930 on Cingulars service.

How???? :o What did you do to undo the application blocking lockdown? Please enlighten us!!!! :D