View Full Version : WiFi sniffer

pugwonk
12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Do you know I can't remember whether I already posted about this. Hrrum. Anyway - I am looking for a WiFi sniffer for the Smartphone (specifically SP5). I know that WiFiFoFum is very popular amongst the Pocket PC crowd but there's not a SP version - anyone know of an alternative?

I am a bit pessemistic here, as there aren't really a lot of WiFi SPs yet...

Chris

Mike Temporale
12-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I don't know of any myself. That doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

The phone has a built-in app that will list out the networks so you can select one to connect to. If that's all you need, then I wouldn't worry. It is pretty basic, so if you're looking for a little more functionality, then this ain't going to do it.

pugwonk
12-21-2005, 07:34 PM
The phone has a built-in app that will list out the networks so you can select one to connect to. If that's all you need, then I wouldn't worry. It is pretty basic, so if you're looking for a little more functionality, then this ain't going to do it.

Hi Mike -

Do you reply to all of my posts? :x-mas:

Basically the main thing missing from the built-in thing is the ability to say "if any unsecured network appears, connect to it". Which I am particularly keen on.

Chris

Mike Temporale
12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
Hi Mike -

Do you reply to all of my posts? :x-mas:

Yup. Yours and everyone elses. :lol: ;) (well, I try to anyway.)

Basically the main thing missing from the built-in thing is the ability to say "if any unsecured network appears, connect to it". Which I am particularly keen on.

Chris

Ah, that would be handy at times. I haven't seen anything like it. We might have to wait until there are more devices with WiFi out there before we see these types of applications.

hyedipin
04-23-2006, 12:44 AM
I am also looking for the same one, a small tool that searches the area and lists available both secured and unsecured networks..

AND..
also a way to be able to assign IP address and DNS to Smartphone, which is a huge negative for mobile phones!

Thanks

encece
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
There is indeed a Smartphone version of WiFiFoFum. It's the same as the PPC version (less features but same installer).

http://www.aspecto-software.com/xoops/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=4

Mike Temporale
04-23-2006, 05:34 PM
There is indeed a Smartphone version of WiFiFoFum. It's the same as the PPC version (less features but same installer).

http://www.aspecto-software.com/xoops/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=4

Hey, I didn't know they had a Smartphone version. Cool. More toys. :mrgreen: My wife wants this on her kjam. So it looks like it's install day! One copy for her and one copy for me. :D

hyedipin
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
It still won't change the official network s/w on the smartphone right?
Because i don't think this will let you use your own IP/DNS.

Thanks for the link.