View Full Version : skype voice for sp5m yet?

annyksa
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
I read an article stateing that skype had not yet made voice chat for sp5m owners, i wonder if that's changed yet? does anyone know? thanks

Mike Temporale
12-12-2005, 12:14 PM
I haven't seen anything. If/when they do make one, I'm sure it will be big news. It'll be hard to miss. :wink:

ashedge
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Is the SP5 a GSM phone?

Mike Temporale
12-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Is the SP5 a GSM phone?

yup. :D

MitzEclipse
12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
it'd be nice if they can run skype off a GPRS connection...but not sure if that's enough bandwidth for voice... is it?

Mike Temporale
12-12-2005, 06:48 PM
it'd be nice if they can run skype off a GPRS connection...but not sure if that's enough bandwidth for voice... is it?

A regular GPRS connection? I would say no. If you're talking Edge, then it's hard to say. We'll have to wait and find out.

Sven Johannsen
12-12-2005, 07:15 PM
GPRS and Edge aren't the point for the SP5 or 5m. The SP5(m) is one of the first SmartPhones that have WiFi, leading to the desire for Skype, for Smartphones.

MitzEclipse
12-13-2005, 01:48 AM
GPRS and Edge aren't the point for the SP5 or 5m. The SP5(m) is one of the first SmartPhones that have WiFi, leading to the desire for Skype, for Smartphones.

the reason i'd like gprs or edge to use skype is when i'm in areas where there are no wifi connections. or more importantly when i'm on the go, but i want to make an international call - hence skype.

the only way i could make an international call via skype would be to sit at a place where there is a wifi connection - no way to do it say if i were in a car for instance

Sven Johannsen
12-13-2005, 06:13 AM
the reason I'd like gprs or edge to use skype is when i'm in areas where there are no wifi connections. or more importantly when i'm on the go, but i want to make an international call - hence skype.
I understand that, but Skype isn't geared towards lower bandwidth VoIP. Right now Skype's technology requires a a good deal of throughput and a beefy processor. I think you'll see the Smartphone advance to supporting Skype faster than you will see Skype advancing to support lower bandwidth and lesser processors. If we get a Skype for Smartphones it will initially be because Smartphones start comming with WiFi. Then if Edge, or other 3G networks start delivering greater speeds, it's concievable Skype, or other VoIP solutions will work, maybe even voice in MSN messenger.

ARW
12-13-2005, 06:34 AM
I read an article stateing that skype had not yet made voice chat for sp5m owners, i wonder if that's changed yet? does anyone know? thanks

Looks like a few people have gotten Skype for PPC working on the SP5m. Here's a link to the discussion over at HoFo.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=791283&page=1