View Full Version : Mapping Software - Any Recommendations???

encece
12-12-2005, 01:42 AM
I was using Mapopolis on my SP2003 Devices....but it doesnt seem to work well on my SP5m.

Are there any other apps out there that work in the US and have a full line of maps?

Thanks.

kabkbak
12-12-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm using mapopolus too and i wish u did not have to load each map
ure self and that u need to know the county'name to plot a route
if you find a good one post it here

Sven Johannsen
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm using mapopolus too and i wish u did not have to load each map ure self
Do you mean from the PC? how else would you want that to happen? Plot a route between two places on the PPC you don't have maps for and have it go get the maps it needs from the PC? Not a program out there that does that. You have to load maps manually for about every application. Especialy those without a Desktop counterpart.

and that u need to know the county'name to plot a route

You know all the county names are available on the Major Roads map for each state, right. I generally just make sure I have the end counties and state major roads available to plot a long route. Then I go along the route and pick up the counties I might need more detail on.

Kris Kumar
12-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Something quick and dirty http://local.google.com/xhtml ;-)

I like Microsoft Pocket Streets. But not sure if it is supported on WM5.0.

encece
12-13-2005, 03:38 AM
PocketStreets isn't as feature rich as Mapopolis. I'm hoping for something like TomTom to become available for the US. Their mobile/Car units are all over the TV right now, so I know they have the maps. I'm hoping for a Smartphone version.

encece
12-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Seems CoPilot has a solution for the US and Smartphones.
At $199 for the software....it's kind of steep....but I'm considering it.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/smartphone.asp

HailFire
12-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Gotta admit, Google's done it again. You need Java and a data connection, although i just used it over the pass-through connection through activesync. Be sure to set it up properly or you'll get charged.

http://google.com/glm

hotdram
12-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Gotta admit, Google's done it again. You need Java and a data connection, although i just used it over the pass-through connection through activesync. Be sure to set it up properly or you'll get charged.

http://google.com/glm

That is cool!
I was not motivated before to figure out how to get the phone into "pass through" mode but this made me. It wasn't that bad at all.
I just wish that I could get directions in pass-through mode and save them to the phone (either screen shot of each turn or a text listing). I also wish I could save maps to the phone.

~Rob

kabkbak
12-15-2005, 05:27 AM
I'm using mapopolus too and i wish u did not have to load each map ure self
Do you mean from the PC? how else would you want that to happen? Plot a route between two places on the PPC you don't have maps for and have it go get the maps it needs from the PC? Not a program out there that does that. You have to load maps manually for about every application. Especialy those without a Desktop counterpart.

and that u need to know the county'name to plot a route

You know all the county names are available on the Major Roads map for each state, right. I generally just make sure I have the end counties and state major roads available to plot a long route. Then I go along the route and pick up the counties I might need more detail on.

when I was using Pocket Map Navigator for PPC I could load maps from all of eastern PA and western NJ and all of DEL onto my sd card.when I needed to go from Allentown PA to Dover DEL. 1=I would just input the address and the program would load the needed maps to get me there on It's own, I did not have to find and load them my self 2=if i drove off my
route and out of an area that was loaded into memory It would find and load the map without any input from me.
what I miss is how simple it was to just put in any address I wanted
and it would just load and route any map I had on a 1gig sd card.

The problem is when I'm dispatched from my office to a new customer I need to find there location on the move quickly and this prog has to manny steps to be practical on the move.

I did not explain my self fully enough, It was just a quick thought
to convay my needs for easy routing.

encece
12-15-2005, 11:25 AM
When using mapopolis (I'm apparently in the same area as you) I have all NJ Counties from NYC to the SOuth Jersey shore points, Phila and surrounding counties and a few delaware counties loaded onto my SD Card. I never have more than that need unless I'm travelling.

Driving around NYC one weekend made the software worth more than it's weight in gold. Short of a built in unit in the car, Phone solutions are great.

Google maps are nice in a pinch....but a bit featureless when compared to the others. I think I'll try copilot.

hotdram
12-15-2005, 02:41 PM
.... I think I'll try copilot.

Do you know if Co-Pilot can be put on 2 phones (I am going to assume a big fat "NO")? I am thinking of giving my wife my SMT-5600 and getting the 2125 from Cingular. Is it possible to buy an extra license at reduced cost for a second device?

~Rob

Sven Johannsen
12-16-2005, 12:46 AM
when I was using Pocket Map Navigator for PPC I could load maps from all of eastern PA and western NJ and all of DEL onto my sd card.

You could do that with Mapopolis as well. Then it becomes a matter of the amount of space taken up by the files for each program and how detailed each set is.