View Full Version : Cingular 2125 Official Release Date

Mike Temporale
12-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Just a quick note for everyone; the official release date for Cingular's 2125 - hump and all, will be next Monday, December 12th. If you're looking for a EDGE enabled Smartphone, you might want to head over to your local Cingular outlet over the weekend and let them know your interested. Just because it's available, doesn't mean that your store will have it in stock. It's best to let them know so they can get you a device without any delays. :mrgreen: Does anyone here plan on picking one of these up?

Jerry Raia
12-06-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm on the fence. I'm kind of holding out for the Qtek. Do I really need WiFi? That is the question. :)

Kris Kumar
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm on the fence. I'm kind of holding out for the Qtek. Do I really need WiFi? That is the question. :)

Same here. On the fence. :cry:

Actually it's more like, do I trust T-Mobile to launch the SDA. Will they? Won't they? Will they?....

brutallyhonest
12-06-2005, 11:19 PM
I caved and bought the QTEK 8310 from Smart Devices Direct. It just looks so much more sexy than the hump....... Speaking of my purchase, has anyone actually dealt with this company before???? I haven't been able to contact anyone regarding order status.

mpaquette
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Nope, no hump phones for me.

dstrauss
12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Great news to me. I'd rather not have Quasimodo, but given the even longer delays in the i-Mate and Qtek models, and the fact I can at least walk into the local Cingular store and vent at the manager in event of a breakdown, I guess I'll stick with the 2125. Now, if my clueless store will just open the delivery boxes so they'll be available Monday....

Is this a pretty solid date, by the way?

Jerry Raia
12-06-2005, 11:37 PM
I can at least walk into the local Cingular store and vent at the manager in event of a breakdown

That is a big factor for me. I always prefer to deal locally.

Kris Kumar
12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
The local stores are great. 30 day return policy. And more accessible support.

Not to forget the carrier rebates. :)

Buying i-mates and Qtek is an expensive proposition. (You pretty much are paying for the ROM updates in advance.)

lagsun
12-07-2005, 12:02 AM
I'd prefer Wi-Fi. Without it, then EDGE and WM 5 seems like an incremental jump from my SMT 5600 with GPRS. Am I offbase?

robertotores
12-07-2005, 12:21 AM

Say no to Quasimodo!

:splat: Quasimodo :splat:

Rebecca
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Is that a Cingular 2125 hump in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :rotfl:

apeguero
12-07-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm holding out for the 8125 or maybe even Treo 700w. The 2125 won't allow me to easily keep track of my Money files. (Here's hoping that chick from a while back on this site won't make another stupid comment again claiming that I'm somehow on crack because I'm still using Money). :silly: That comment never made sense to me. :?:

If, by the time Verizon offers the Treo 700w for sale Cingular hasn't given us a hint that they will do the same, and I don't like the 8125 (if out by then) then I may dump my Cingular account and eat the early termination fee in order to use the 700w. I like the form-factor of the Treo enough to pay an extra $175.00 in order to use it.

choo_choo
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I will probably get one, but I may wait to hear what others think of the device. The EDGE speeds are probably fast enough for me, although I'll want to try it in the store first. I wish there was a WM 2005 PDA/phone the size of the 2125.

gacajun
12-07-2005, 12:57 AM
I will probably get one, but I may wait to hear what others think of the device. The EDGE speeds are probably fast enough for me, although I'll want to try it in the store first. I wish there was a WM 2005 PDA/phone the size of the 2125.

The 8125 is supposed to be released from Cingular "soon", it might fit your requirements.

OSUKid7
12-07-2005, 01:32 AM
WiFi would be nice, but that's what my Pocket PC's for. With my week of experience with a Smartphone, there's not that much more I can see myself doing with the faster speeds of WiFi, other than maybe VoIP, but Skype doesn't even support voice on Smartphones...yet. ;) I'll definitely be trading in my SMT5600 for a 2125, since I'm within the 30-day grace period. I'll call my store this weekend and let them know I'm interested. Hopefully I'll have my second Smartphone early next week. :)

HalM
12-07-2005, 02:34 AM
FWIW, I have had my i-mate SP5m for about a month now. I don't do streaming media of any type, just a littlle Internet browsing to specific mobile enabled sites and Exchange ActiveSync. I have not bought an EDGE plan and have only had WiFi turned on once. I find that for my needs GPRS is ok. That said, I will probably go to EDGE when ActiveSync starts using HTTPS instead of SMS messages for notification. WiFi? Maybe in specific situations.

clingeek
12-07-2005, 02:44 AM
[quote]I'm holding out for the 8125 or maybe even Treo 700w.

I'm with him. Trying the 8125 when it comes out. If I don't like it, then I'm jumping to the 700w. I've got both Cingular and Verizon. 8O

xultar
12-07-2005, 03:15 AM
I wasn't @ first but...I'm a sucker for reception. I'd love good reception.
I'm sure I'll get it. I'll have to caall cuz I'll have to migrate.

mbranscum
12-07-2005, 03:18 AM
I'm in! Going to go look at it in person and probably buy it. :D

dstrauss
12-07-2005, 04:09 AM

Say no to Quasimodo!

Well, there's always a hack saw to consider :wink:

Kris Kumar
12-07-2005, 04:30 AM
I'll definitely be trading in my SMT5600 for a 2125, since I'm within the 30-day grace period. I'll call my store this weekend and let them know I'm interested. Hopefully I'll have my second Smartphone early next week. :)

8O 8) Upgrading Smartphones in the span of 2-3 weeks. Now that's a real Smartphone geek. Others have to month and maybe years. Can't believe my current one is a year old and I am still holding on to it.

All the best. Hope things work out without hassle at the store. :)

OSUKid7
12-07-2005, 04:47 AM
8O 8) Upgrading Smartphones in the span of 2-3 weeks. Now that's a real Smartphone geek. Others have to month and maybe years. Can't believe my current one is a year old and I am still holding on to it.

All the best. Hope things work out without hassle at the store. :)
lol...believe me, I wouldn't be doing this if I had to pay a lot. Gotta love the 30-day return policy. :D

cmorris
12-07-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd prefer Wi-Fi. Without it, then EDGE and WM 5 seems like an incremental jump from my SMT 5600 with GPRS. Am I offbase?

Don't forget the QVGA screen, double the RAM, and better camera.

runbuh
12-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I don't see the SMT5600 anymore on the Cingular web site (retail or premier). Can anyone else confirm that? Perhaps the 2125 is really really going to be released!

Rebecca
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Say no to Quasimodo!

Quasimodo is the ugliest phone I have ever seen.

possmann
12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I think I'm going to get it - after looking at it m person. That would mean an end to a 5 year relationship with T Mo. . . sigh

iJITSU
12-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Say no to Quasimodo!

Then you haven't seen the black and red Nokia 7610 :-)

dstrauss
12-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Say no to Quasimodo!

Then you haven't seen the black and red Nokia 7610 :-)

Man, you'd have to wrap that thing in bacon to get the dog to play with it. :drinking:

rkdiddy
12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I think I have the answer to the hump issue...

I have this new idea to increase the reception of a cellphone...I think I will call it an "antenna". If your reception is poor you will be able to extend it...if your reception is fine you can slide the "antenna" back into the phone so it doesn't get in the way.

:P

jtheun
12-07-2005, 10:02 PM
I called up a number of Cingular stores through the Bay Area, and they seem to think that they won't see the 2125 until February-ish. I am hoping they are wrong. They checked their internal systems and could not find any information about the 2125 yet. Has anyone else heard positive news (meaning availability next week) from an actual Cingular store?

Jerry Raia
12-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I called up a number of Cingular stores through the Bay Area, and they seem to think that they won't see the 2125 until February-ish. I am hoping they are wrong. They checked their internal systems and could not find any information about the 2125 yet. Has anyone else heard positive news (meaning availability next week) from an actual Cingular store?

That's not unusual, when I was trying to get my 6515 they had them right there in the store but not on their system so they couldn't sell it to me at that point.

jfreiman
12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
The hump? Why does it seem that everyone hates it?

Can I be alone in the fact that I like the looks of the hump? Albeit, I haven't seen it in person, but to me it adds to the character of the phone and distinguishes it from every other phone on the market.

I think HTC should be commended for breaking from tradition by creating a model of phone which tries to address the US markets limitations and fundimental problems - poor signal.

I'll be getting the phone as soon as it's released and I will sing the praises of the 'hump' - and hopefully, the better sound quality it allows me.

-John
PS. Hopefully before long I'll be singing along using a BT stereo headset! :)

Kris Kumar
12-08-2005, 01:48 AM
I think I have the answer to the hump issue...

I have this new idea to increase the reception of a cellphone...I think I will call it an "antenna". If your reception is poor you will be able to extend it...if your reception is fine you can slide the "antenna" back into the phone so it doesn't get in the way.

:P

Quick! Patent the idea. :lol:

PCMAN
12-08-2005, 07:27 AM
remember cell phones used to have external antennas
and some still do
example Nextels

if the hump helps reception I'm all for it
but here in Philly/S.Jersey area I never have a problem with reception
I even got reception in a Atlantic city Hotel elevator (with my old smt5600)

robertotores
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Is that a Cingular 2125 hump in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :rotfl:

I did not read that one. Cool joke! :)

dstrauss
12-08-2005, 03:25 PM
WiFi would be nice, but that's what my Pocket PC's for. With my week of experience with a Smartphone, there's not that much more I can see myself doing with the faster speeds of WiFi, other than maybe VoIP, but Skype doesn't even support voice on Smartphones...yet. ;) I'll definitely be trading in my SMT5600 for a 2125, since I'm within the 30-day grace period. I'll call my store this weekend and let them know I'm interested. Hopefully I'll have my second Smartphone early next week. :)

Hopefully it is getting close, because my local store has agreed to "give me a few more days on my SMT5600" grace period in order to exchange it for the 2125. It will be good to get back to EDGE speeds (I drop kicked the old Treo 650 to eBay heaven just for this).

zeke009
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I think I'm going to get it - after looking at it m person. That would mean an end to a 5 year relationship with T Mo. . . sighKris mentioned that there could be two versions of this phone, one for T-Mobile (w/ WiFi) and one for Cingular (w/o WiFi). You might not have to break your relationship with T-Mobile in the end! :wink:

The Quote:
Based on the FCC certifications, there are two models:

- NM8TNDF, No WiFi, Cingular (http://tinyurl.com/7uywf)
- NM8TND, With WiFi, T-Mobile (http://tinyurl.com/e34ba)

The Thread:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

possmann
12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
yeah - I know there are suppose to be 2 versions, but how long is it going to be for T-mo to get off their USA arsches to get this on the market - I tell you their selection of higher-end phones sucks and they are rapidly loosing the edge (no pun intended) in their pricing plans - and don't get me started about their marketing department...

I applaud their service and support - everytime I have called I have had prompt and professional (and most importantly) curtious service. I know this is not the forum but can anyone comment on their experience with Cing's service and support?

Ah - I won't be doing anything until Mid January - too many christmas list items that need to be purchased before I can drop several hundred on this. :)

Regarding WiFi - I'm ok without it - it's not a deal breaker for me - and if the reason for the hump is for better reception then hooah for the hump I say - I've seen plenty of phones far uglier than this one.

What I am, really waiting for is the Treo 700 on GSM (I travel to Germany every now and again) so whatever I get - Cing or T-mo, I'll be moving to something different I hope this time next year - after Verizon gets done with their little monopoly on that phone.

zeke009
12-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Regarding WiFi - I'm ok without it - it's not a deal breaker for me - and if the reason for the hump is for better reception then hooah for the hump I say - I've seen plenty of phones far uglier than this one.
Very true, there are some down right ugly phones out there... but that's drawn entirely from each persons perspective.

WiFi, it would be nice. I guess I'm just fed up with Cingular as of late and have been hearing T-Mobile has turned it around lately with support, plans, and coverage. Your comment kind of alarms me though, did I hear wrong about T-Mobile?

Does anyone else get the impression that the carriers out there today just completely ignore their customer base and any suggestions they may have? If they were serious about smartphones and expanding the business, wouldn't they want input from the user base they intend to target?

possmann
12-08-2005, 10:28 PM
My grip with T-mobile is that they are not fast to adopt or roll out higher end technology - look at the differences in the phone selection from Europe to the US - if we could just have some of those cool phones over here that would be great.

Coverage - ah they are OK - solid - and I know it is getting better, but they just aren't as fast to push forward as their competitors. t-Mo here is very conservative as compared to Cing and Veriz.

Their service (people when you call them) is great however. That and their low cost rate plans are what has kept me with them for this many years.

jtheun
12-09-2005, 02:21 AM
OK, I have a few questions about this Cingular vs TMobile thing. I am actually a happy TMobile customer, but had to buy my 5600 from Cingular and unlock it. I like TMobile's service, and the GPRS has been working well for me. I especially like their bundled WiFi hotspot deal (I spend a lot of time travelling and it comes in handy for my laptop). Now the questios:

1. I heard that TMobile has EDGE now... has anyone been able to connect to TMobile's EDGE network?

2. Here in Northern CA, I understand that TMobile actually uses Cingular's infrastructure (towers etc). If one has EDGE here, does it mean that the other would too?