View Full Version : Can I buy or download a keypad / screen locker anywhere?

pugwonk
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
OK, so I'm a simple soul. I have a WM5 smartphone, onto which I synchronise my calendar from Outlook. And in this calendar I have many reminders. These reminders pop up when I have to do things, and they have helpful "dismiss" or "snooze" options, to allow me to be reminded again later or just get on and do whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing.

I carry the phone in my pocket. Naturally it gets bumped around a bit, but handily by holding down the "end call" key, I can lock the keypad so that no buttons will be pressed by accident. Great! This means my reminders won't be dismissed by mistake.

NYARGGGHHHHH!!!! No it doesn't. When the "keypad lock" is on, the "snooze" and "dismiss" buttons are actually enabled. So generally when I get to work I spend the first few minutes rummaging through my diary looking for the reminders that I've dismissed whilst walking down the street.

Has anyone written a "keypad lock" application? Whilst it would be handy to retain the ability to answer the phone, I would actually be quite happy giving that up in return for the ability to manage my reminders properly. I know I mentioned it earlier but I have a WM5 device, which might make this a tougher task.

Perhaps the same application could make "disable sound" actually... hmm... disable the sound...

Any help appreciated,

Chris

Mike Temporale
12-06-2005, 10:48 PM
NYARGGGHHHHH!!!! No it doesn't. When the "keypad lock" is on, the "snooze" and "dismiss" buttons are actually enabled. So generally when I get to work I spend the first few minutes rummaging through my diary looking for the reminders that I've dismissed whilst walking down the street.

The funny thing is, only Microsoft reminders do this. Any other application will not over-ride the keylock. Mainly because Microsoft has not shared the code that allows third party people to do that. Sadly, I don't know of any way to prevent this. You might want to try another calendar app or something. Perhaps that will prevent it from happening. :?

cooleaf
02-21-2006, 07:25 AM
That is really piece of sad news. I have been considering for long switching from WM2003 to WM5, but now this is another major reason stopping me from doing that. Have anyone tried to mention this to M$ Mobile team?

Mike Temporale
02-21-2006, 01:43 PM
That is really piece of sad news. I have been considering for long switching from WM2003 to WM5, but now this is another major reason stopping me from doing that.

Windows Mobile 2003 acts the same way as Windows Mobile 5 does in this regard. So I can't see how this would hold you back from upgrading.

:?

pugwonk
02-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Windows Mobile 2003 acts the same way as Windows Mobile 5 does in this regard. So I can't see how this would hold you back from upgrading.

Well, erm, sort of. Unless you're upgrading because you're hoping it'll be better? 8O

Chris

cooleaf
02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I am hoping WM5 will do better than 2003, but hvn't see any advance WM5 has made so far, except for its version number... So why upgrading?

Anyone who can give me a reason why I should upgrade my operating system?

pugwonk
02-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I am hoping WM5 will do better than 2003, but hvn't see any advance WM5 has made so far, except for its version number... So why upgrading?

Anyone who can give me a reason why I should upgrade my operating system?

Well personally (as someone who used 2003 a lot and switched to WM5 a few months ago), I am a bit indifferent about it. The "Contacts" app is a bit better (I like the pictures). The ability to snooze tasks for 5/10/15/60 etc minutes is much better than just being able to snooze them for 5. The high-resolution screen is nicer (I have an SP5). But apart from that, it's not really too much different. The text messaging app is still pretty crappy, the screen lock still doesn't work and the new "start menu with icons" is all well and good until you realise that any of the submenus (e.g. config) are all back to the old style. There's not really a lot new.

Chris

cooleaf
02-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Yes Chris, agree!
So far I dont see any substaintial change in WM5 (there might be some, on coding level perhaps).

If any official document could tell: say the new system gives more new features that software developers could take advantage of. Or other new features that more advanced accesories will come with.

I see it as a WM 2003 third, not a brand new system. Or never it is? 8O

Mike Temporale
02-23-2006, 02:32 PM
WinMo5 is a huge change on the Pocket PC side as it brings that platform closer to the Smartphone side. However, the changes to the Smartphone that are visible to the user, are limited. The Smartphone has less changes than the Pocket PC side, and the majority of the changes are under the hood that the average user wouldn't notice.