View Full Version : Disconnecting From ActiveSync in Windows Mobile 5

Mike Temporale
12-01-2005, 04:30 PM
As I'm sure most of you are aware, one of the big problems with ActiveSync over Bluetooth on older devices was the lack of ability to disconnect after you're done sync'ing. There was no nice way to stop ActiveSync and break the connection. Basically, you had 2 options; 1) toggle your Bluetooth off and then back on, or 2) run down the hall away from your computer until you're out of range. Thankfully, this issue has been addressed in Windows Mobile 5. Happy Happy Joy Joy :mrgreen:

http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Temporale-iMateSP5m-ActiveSyncDisconnect.jpg

Now, if we could only get the file sync conduit added in for Smartphones. :evil:

nedge2k
12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually in 2003se if you hit the sync button repeatedly it would disconnect ;) Never seen that documented anywhere tho so it's an easy one to miss. I only found when i was having major bt async problems.

encece
12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
To your last point.....

WHY is there no file sync for Smartphones?
WHY is there no MSMoney Sync?
WHY is there no .LIT reader?
WHY is there no MSOffice Viewer, let alone editor?

When you are at the MVP meetings....does anyone ask WHY?

jychow
12-01-2005, 06:24 PM
there is a utility call Discon. activesync for WM2003. check it out at software sites.

encece
12-01-2005, 07:20 PM
there's plenty of third party stuff out there. I was referring to built-in synchronization.

Jerry Raia
12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Even if you plug your phone into a USB cable to sync there is no way to disconnect other than pulling the plug.

Mike Temporale
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Even if you plug your phone into a USB cable to sync there is no way to disconnect other than pulling the plug.

That, unfortunately, has not changed. When connected via cable, the only way to break the connection is to pull the plug. :(

Mike Temporale
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
To your last point.....

WHY is there no file sync for Smartphones?
WHY is there no MSMoney Sync?
WHY is there no .LIT reader?
WHY is there no MSOffice Viewer, let alone editor?

When you are at the MVP meetings....does anyone ask WHY?

You have no idea how much people push these issues with Microsoft. In fact, I think I saw some poor WinMo dev's ears start to bleed at one point. :lol:

As to your questions, there are answers to a lot of them - I just wish I could share that with you. Damn NDA's.

< We need a emoticon with duct tape over it's mouth. >

ctmagnus
12-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Actually in 2003se if you hit the sync button repeatedly it would disconnect ;)

:rofl:

That should save me five minutes a day. :)

For some reason, after I turn off Bluetooth with BlueTooth Toggle, ActiveSync on the desktop end will think it's still connected for ~ 30 seconds - 1 minute after. This disconnects it immediately.