View Full Version : Sprint and Samsung Sued for Touch-Screen Flip Phone?

Jerry Raia
11-30-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490070172/' target='_blank'>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490070172/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"There are wack lawsuits, and there are wack lawsuits, but what the hell do private citizens John and Christina King think they’re suing Sprint and Samsung for? Well, according to the Inq, it’s apparently over the i500 — yes, they may have two patents in the USPTO system filed in December of 2002 for a “Foldable wireless communication device functioning as a cellular telephone and a personal digital assistant”"</i><br /><br />You know this could be a big money maker. Just patent a bunch of ideas rolling around in your head. Then sit quietly and wait until some company actually makes one of your ideas and sue them! Ha!

Sven Johannsen
11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
I think the only thing that will stop this kind of cr@p is to require patent holders to actually produce something in a reasonable time frame based on the patents. At least show progress in the development of the idea if it is a new technology.

Rebecca
11-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Here is my patent:

I have a patent for a small battery operated device able to wirelessly make phone calls.

I will sue all cellular and cordless phone makers :roll:

seriously, what's happening to the patent office.

shindullin
12-01-2005, 07:43 PM
This is a common practice, called a submarine patent. People think of random stuff, patent it, and then it doesn't surface until there's someone to sue. A sad reality in patent practice today. It can be very damaging, just ask RIM.

edit
Wow, that's two posts in Three years. I've gotta get me a smartphone so have more to say here :wink:

Jerry Raia
12-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah don't be a stranger! :)

Kris Kumar
12-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I think the only thing that will stop this kind of cr@p is to require patent holders to actually produce something in a reasonable time frame based on the patents. At least show progress in the development of the idea if it is a new technology.

I thought you had to make a prototype or something and show the intent to productize an idea. At least that is what I had to do for few of the patents at work.

Personally, given the hassle of obtaining the patent, I must say that they have the right to sue Sprint and Samsung ... and Moto and ... :roll: :rotfl:

Kris Kumar
12-02-2005, 12:56 PM
This patent (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&amp;Sect2=HITOFF&amp;d=PALL&amp;p=1&amp;u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&amp;r=1&amp;f=G&amp;l=50&amp;s1=6,775,560.WKU.&amp;OS=PN/6,775,560&amp;RS=PN/6,775,560) intrigues me. It even references Kyocera Smartphone series. :?

Overall Microsoft Smartphone seems to be safe. It would affect only the Palm based Smartphones. Or the phones that have a mini touch screen just above the key pad (like the Samsung i500). If the touch screen is integrated with the main display then it is not a problem.

Overall a pretty well written or thought out patent.