View Full Version : Cingular/A&TT have just told me they discontinued the MPx220!

spitfire
11-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Cingular/A&TT have just told me they discontinued the MPx220! This sucks? Cingular/A&TT can’t tell me what the replacement is; could it be the Trio 650 or MPx300? What is the ETA of the Trio 65x or the MPx300? :x

Rocco Augusto
11-25-2005, 08:06 PM
no ETA on the MPx300. sad that they discontinued the MPx220 yet again, they just brought fantastic MPx220 back to the lineup :( ;)

Mike Temporale
11-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I think they officially killed the MPx, so I wouldn't hold your breath. ;) It seems like the MPx220 is in a constent state of retirement and then re-birth. :roll:

Rocco Augusto
11-25-2005, 08:29 PM
no ETA on the MPx300. sad that they discontinued the MPx220 yet again, they just brought fantastic MPx220 back to the lineup :( ;)

well good news/bad news. the good news is i checked our stock on what phones we can order at my store as well as online and the MPx220 is still alive and kicking. The bad news... the MPx220 is still alive and kicking... :lol:

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2005, 01:49 AM
well good news/bad news. the good news is...MPx220 is still alive and kicking. The bad news... the MPx220 is still alive and kicking... :lol:

That's funny. I like the MPX220. In it's latest OS revision it is pretty good. I didn't find it all that bad a rev ago. It actually is a bit big as far as flip phones go, but it feels good in the hand. Has some weight to it, and the buttons and key pad are easy to work (as opposed that rocker thing on the SMT). It could be a bit slimmer, have WM5 on it and MP10, and I wouldn't mind a regular mini-USB instead of that Motorola thing, but as it is it isn't that bad. And if you like flips, and want WM, what else is there?

Jerry Raia
11-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I liked the MPx220 form factor too. After sending it back twice I had had enough. When i saw it on Cingulars site again I was so tempted because I really miss a flip phone. I just couldn't give Moto any more money for that thing.

Rocco Augusto
11-26-2005, 02:21 AM
I owned a MPx220 for a good 6 months before i got my 5600. At first I missed my 220 but after a month with the 5600 I couldn't go back at all. I still consider the 220 a great phone... when it works. A majority of the phones though just have horrible build quality. Speakers don't work, battery drains really quickly, mic stops working, etc.

If Moto got on the ball that would have been a fantastic phone. Honestly I say scrap the phone completely and just make something new.

Sven Johannsen
11-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Personnally I'm not a real fan of the Razr, but my wife loves hers and apparently so do a lot of others. I can't see why it would be hard to stick a WM OS in one of those. I don't recall if hers has much of an audio system, but it has a good screen, BT, decent battery life, USB sync connector, etc.

Mike Temporale
11-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Personnally I'm not a real fan of the Razr, but my wife loves hers and apparently so do a lot of others. I can't see why it would be hard to stick a WM OS in one of those. I don't recall if hers has much of an audio system, but it has a good screen, BT, decent battery life, USB sync connector, etc.

A couple people at one of my clients just bought these. The only requirement was "it's so small". They have no idea if their device has BT or not. They just like the size. It would be nice if there was a WinMo device that had that kind of appeal. The 5600 was close, but there's still some distance to go.

Rocco Augusto
11-26-2005, 07:28 PM

A couple people at one of my clients just bought these. The only requirement was "it's so small". They have no idea if their device has BT or not. They just like the size. It would be nice if there was a WinMo device that had that kind of appeal. The 5600 was close, but there's still some distance to go.

isnt the star trek gonna be all tiny and thin like the razr? if so that is def something to look forward to :)

Mike Temporale
11-26-2005, 07:51 PM
isnt the star trek gonna be all tiny and thin like the razr? if so that is def something to look forward to :)

You're right. I had almost forgotten about that phone. It's still a way's off, but it does offer hope. :D

Rocco Augusto
11-27-2005, 12:59 AM

You're right. I had almost forgotten about that phone. It's still a way's off, but it does offer hope. :D

beam...me up..mike... hope..is not..lost :lol:

Sven Johannsen
11-28-2005, 06:20 AM
A couple people at one of my clients just bought these. The only requirement was "it's so small".

I don't think it's all that small. Thin yes, but it's wider than my MPX220, and just as tall IIRC.

My wife definately knows it has BT, it was a deal stopper requirement, Had to work with the car handsfree setup. It did/does, which makes it even more irritating that my MOTOROLA MPX220, does not. (SMT5600 doesn't either BTW) JasJar and K-Jam both do. It's a U-Connect BTW found on Chryslers and Jeeps.

Mike Temporale
11-28-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think it's all that small. Thin yes, but it's wider than my MPX220, and just as tall IIRC.

:oops: Sorry, you're right. I meant thin. There are plenty of smaller devices, just not as thin as the RAZR.

Sven Johannsen
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM

:oops: Sorry, you're right. I meant thin. There are plenty of smaller devices, just not as thin as the RAZR.

You needn't be sorry Mike. I hear that from lots of folks, "Wow. it's so small". Thin does have advantages. Fits great in a shirt pocket, or pants pocket for that matter. (unless you are trying to impress, then a VOQ is in order ;) )

I actually find it uncomfortably wide, but my wife just loves it. Part of the reason is the size of the screen and keyboard. We are both at the point that reading glasses are needed at times, and she can usually do OK on the Razr without.