View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.1 Released

Jason Dunn
11-18-2005, 09:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync41.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync41.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"ActiveSync 4.1 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-based PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows-based PC and Windows Mobile-based device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts updated wirelessly when you’re away from your PC."</i><br /><br />The <i>official</i> release of ActiveSync 4.1 is here, so if you have a Windows Mobile 5 device, grab it - especially if you've had problems with USB connections. If you're using an older device, it's probably best to stick with version 3.x so you can keep WiFi sync.

squirrelist
11-18-2005, 10:24 PM
BTW - the build # is 4841.

The 4.1 that was floating around the Internet a couple of months ago was build 4807.

Mike Temporale
11-18-2005, 10:46 PM
The 4.1 that was floating around the Internet a couple of months ago

Right. That build was not an official release. ;)

Just as a side note, if you don't have a Windows Mobile 5 device, this release offers nothing new. So you should just stick with what you got. :)

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 01:52 AM
I installed it just cause I gotta have the latest, even if it does nothing. :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
11-19-2005, 02:53 AM
I installed it just cause I gotta have the latest, even if it does nothing. :mrgreen:

How about if it does less than the previous version? ;)

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 03:05 AM
You are referring to the WiFi issue I assume? Never used it myself. There is no denying this is one neglected application. Don't get me started. :lol:

roma
11-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Remember you need to create a new ActiveSync relation after installation (might not be handy to those who sync over 2 computers), it is no "upgrade" installation. Nothing new in this build besides localization, same little bugs (specific contacts and/or appontments do not sync) are present in this build.

surfer
11-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Im using it right now to sync my MPX220 and it works good :D What the heck it works great with my X51v too :D

roma
11-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Im using it right now to sync my MPX220 and it works good :D What the heck it works great with my X51v too :D
Yup. Problems only appear with WM5.

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Yup. Problems only appear with WM5.

The X51v is a WM5 device..natively. 4.1 was intended to alleviate most of the issues folks were having with 4.0.

dbob
11-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm using AS 3.8 and have no problems. Is there a better version? and, if so, do the advatages outweigh the bugs?

Second question: is there a way to use my smt 5600 through wifi and if so, what would be the advantages/disadvanages? Where can I read further if that is possible?

Thanks As Always,
Dbob :lol:

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm using AS 3.8 and have no problems. Is there a better version? and, if so, do the advatages outweigh the bugs?

Second question: is there a way to use my smt 5600 through wifi and if so, what would be the advantages/disadvanages? Where can I read further if that is possible?

Thanks As Always,
Dbob :lol:

If 3.8 is working for you stick with it. 4.1 which is the newer version is mainly a fix for WM5 users.

The 5600 doesn't have WiFi so no. The only wireless option you have other than the phone itself is Bluetooth.

dbob
11-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Your speedy and pithy reply is appreciated - you too. :!:

Kris Kumar
11-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Notes
* Faster file transfer speed and photo sync via Outlook are only available for Windows Mobile 5.0-based devices. For customers using Windows Mobile 2003 or 2002-based devices, please continue using ActiveSync 3.8
* Remote PC Sync (via Wifi or LAN) has been removed due to Enterprise customer feedback around security issues. If you are using this feature on a Windows Mobile 2003-based device, please continue using ActiveSync 3.x or earlier.
* Beginning in 2006, customers using Microsoft Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 with devices running the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0 will benefit from the following feature enhancements in ActiveSync 4.1: Direct Push Technology, local device wipe, and certificate-based authentication to Exchange Server.

FYI...Just wanted to highlight the notes from the ActiveSync download page. :-)

I am planning to stick with the 3.8 version. I do use Wi-Fi to keep my Pocket PC in sync. :evil:

Jerry Raia
11-19-2005, 11:51 PM
I am planning to stick with the 3.8 version. I do use Wi-Fi to keep my Pocket PC in sync. :evil:

I never used that feature. I didn't even know it was there until people started complaining when it was removed. Why can't they just offer a corporate version without the WiFi and let the rest of us who want it, have it?

Kris Kumar
11-20-2005, 01:48 AM
Why can't they just offer a corporate version without the WiFi and let the rest of us who want it, have it?

I guess the trouble is that people will un-install the corporate version and use the consumer edition. ;-)

But I do like your idea. It almost seems like a device provisioning flag. All corporate mobile devices, provisioned to receive data from the corporate Exchange server, should (the devices themselves) not allow Wi-Fi sync.

But like all good ideas. Microsoft is slow to adopt to it.

For me the Wi-Fi sync works great at home. :-)

jfreiman
11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I can't confirm it at this time, but I could swear that Activesync 4.1 transfers my music files (Windows Media Player 10) files to my SMT5600 more SLOWLY than did 4.0 or 3.8.

Has anyone else experienced this phenominon?

-John

1T-M0nk3y
11-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Why can't they just offer a corporate version without the WiFi and let the rest of us who want it, have it?

I guess the trouble is that people will un-install the corporate version and use the consumer edition. ;-)

But I do like your idea. It almost seems like a device provisioning flag. All corporate mobile devices, provisioned to receive data from the corporate Exchange server, should (the devices themselves) not allow Wi-Fi sync.

But like all good ideas. Microsoft is slow to adopt to it.

For me the Wi-Fi sync works great at home. :-)

If a corporate customer is concerned with staff uninstalling one version of activesync to install another then their IT staff should implement user restrictions to prevent it (Like I do)

me
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
If you're using an older device, it's probably best to stick with version 3.x so you can keep WiFi sync.

Well, I've never used Wi-Fi Sync, and don't expect I ever will.

Therefore, I wonder if it might be a good idea to upgrade to this newest version of ActiveSync, for my WM2003 devices (IPAQ 2210 PPC, and SMT5600 smartphone).

Even if there are no new features in it, does it work better than 3.8? More stable and reliable, less problems, etc.?

ActiveSync 3.8 is FAR from perfect, often very buggy, and if 4.1 works better, and if one is not interested in wi-fi sync, it certainly could be a good idea to upgrade.

The question is--does it work better? (Of course, sometimes newer versions are buggier than older ones, so newer doesn't necessarily mean better.) What's the scoop? Anyone know? It isn't primarily a matter of new features, but how well and reliably it works.

Jerry Raia
12-02-2005, 09:45 PM
I upgraded a while ago. I haven't noticed a thing different.

me
12-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I upgraded a while ago. I haven't noticed a thing different.

Have you had any problems with 4.1?

Jerry Raia
12-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Not a single one.

creed
12-24-2005, 06:28 AM
A quick search of these forums doesn't yield much detail about activesync limitations &amp; workarounds. Can someone please give me a quick &amp; concise summary of what my options may be? Long time Palm user, also have used Pkt PCs, now syncing to Outlook on both work &amp; home PCs with a Palm. Have an SMT5600 now too, interested in retiring the Palm. Chapura Pocket Mirror has done an excellent job of helping me to keep my personal info off my work PC. Is it really true that Activesync cannot do this? I see Chapura has a WM version that creates "category-like folders"... WTH? that seems like waaaay too much effort, and I don't really want to buy &amp; learn yet another $50 3rd party patchwork SW (Intellisync?) Why is smartphone functionality and sync so crippled?

I'm really not trying to flame here; I guess I'm not quite a power user like many on these forums, but a bit more tuned in than the average cell phone user. I want out of the box simplicity- love the smartphone form factor but sheesh- this should be a no-brainer, &amp; I'm tempted to just buy a Treo for functionality. Convince me otherwise?
TIA.

~creed

1T-M0nk3y
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I love my Smartphone, but Activesync is FAR too limited, I use exchange at work but, strangely, not when I'm at home, as I felt an exchange server for home was a bit much - As a result I can't sync my contacts etc with my home PC. I can't use cached exchange mode at work because of hotdesking... Microsoft seem to think that since my requirement is not EXACTLY what they expect my requirement to be, TOUGH! Nice of them to take such a flexible aproach! :cry: