View Full Version : Finally synchronized with my new Outlook 2002

staats
10-25-2005, 08:55 PM
It took me about a day and a half but I finally got my Palm database into Outlook2002 and then synchronized with the phone using Catagories.

While I was testing the contact manager in the phone (before I did the sync) I typed in a few entries in to just see how the filtering worked. I later deleted these on the phone and "thought" I was starting with a clean phone. Now that I have loaded my Outlook contact list over to the phone I see that those old manually entered catagories are still on the phone.

How do I get rid of them?

Bob S.

Mike Temporale
10-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Well, once you have sync'ed the device, you should also have those entries in Outlook. So, you can delete them from Outlook, then sync again, and they should disappear.

staats
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
No that wasn't the case.

Keep in mind I spent the entire day getting my Palm database imported to Outlook2002. There are many snafus and release incompatibility problems between 2002, the latest Palm desktop platform for Palm V and Chapura's software. What a kluge of a solution.

The conversion of Palm categories into Outlook categories is just one of them. Perhaps this the source of my problem.

I purged all of the predefined categories from Outlook because the Chapura was supposed to build and assign them during the conversion.
It did half of that. They are not it the master category list.

After a while the SMT5600 made the old category definitions on the phone just go away. Perhaps repeated sync operations did that. It was not a simple case of the SMT5600 and Outlook sync once, or even twice,
then resolve what needs to be cleaned up. There's something weird about this.

Since I'm not completely finished with my conversion/ merging of Palm, Outlook and WinFAX, did I forget to mention that Winfax step :roll: ???, databases I suspect that I will have to wipe the contacts from the phone at least once.

With my Palm you can have the Palm or the PC override the situation.
I'm finding the MS ActiveStink confusing on this point. There are not that many options so can someone elaborate on which settings will allow me to do the following:

Override the SMT5600 with the Contacts contents from Outlook as well as the reverse.

Thanks

Bob S. 8O

Sven Johannsen
10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
On initial partnering you will be presented with the options of having the PC overwrite the SP completly, or combine what is on the two devices. There is no option to have the SP be considered 'Master' and overwrite the PC data. Unfortunate but that's the way it is. If you get totally messed up, hopefully your desktop data is accurate. At least it is somewhat easier to fix. You can delete the partnership and re-establish it. If you select PC overwrites, you get back to a clean SP.

Combining does have the potential of creating duplicates, but my experience has been they are scatterred around, I haven't ever got two of each entry. There seems to be some logic that looks at the two records and compares them to see if they are identical. There can be things you don't see that cause them not to be, so sometimes it looks to you like just a plain old duplicate.

Once a partnership is set up, there is no option to have one side override the other, unless there is a conflict. A conflict exists if a change is made to the same record on each device between syncs. That is if you change Bob Smith's extension on the PPC and add his zip code on the PC, for example. You can predetermine if the PC or PPC always wins, or if it always prompts. Again, that is only on a conflict.