View Full Version : Who Uses MSN Messenger on Their Smartphone?

Mike Temporale
10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/images/Temporale-20051020-MSNMessenger.jpg

MSN Messenger is one of my favourite applications. I'm always logged in, or as often as I can possibly be, and I really enjoy being able to communicate instantly with friends, family, and co-workers regardless of where we are physically located. When it comes to using MSN Messenger on the Smartphone, I tend to shy away from using it. This is the total reverse of my Messenger habits on the Pocket PC. I think it's related to the lack of a really good text input method on the Smartphone that keeps me from using Messenger. I will sign in from time to time, just to see if someone's online or whatnot, but I try to avoid having any sort of conversation on the Smartphone. I am just not fast enough with T9 to try and carry on a conversation using my phone. Now, if I had a Motorola Q or a Voq, I might be more inclined to chat with someone, since the keyboard would allow me a chance to enter text at a decent speed. Another negative factor is the spotty GPRS connection. Hopefully the new WiFi enabled phone will fix this issue - at least when I'm in the office or at home.

I can't be alone in my thoughts and feeling for Messenger on the Smarthphone. Time for a poll! How often do you use MSN Messenger (or any other IM tool) on your Smartphone? And if you're not a big mobile user like me, then what would get you to use it more often, if anything?

ARW
10-20-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm not really a very big IMer, so I seldom use MSN Messenger on my phone. What I'd really like is Yahoo Messenger for my phone. Perhaps with the upcoming interoperability with each other Yahoo will address this shortcoming.

xultar
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Your poll is kinda difficult to answer. I have a passport account but I never use MSN messenger. I will check my MSN email once a quarter on my phone but that is about it.

cesarfong
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
yes i am on line always i havent got a hotspot or i am not at home... is the best way to keep in touch :)

Cesar

Sven Johannsen
10-20-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm with you, Mike. I get on now and again to see who, or if someone particular is on-line. I'll avoid a real conversation because of the input limitation. I have one of the My Text things set up for "Be patient, I'm on my phone."

I do have Pocket MSN, which really simplifies getting on, but it still is a once in a while thing.

JuhaN
10-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm not really a very big IMer, so I seldom use MSN Messenger on my phone. What I'd really like is Yahoo Messenger for my phone. Perhaps with the upcoming interoperability with each other Yahoo will address this shortcoming.Have you tried AgileMessenger from www.agilemobile.com ? I have their messenger running 24/7 on my (Series 60) smartphone and this software ROCKS!! It can connect MSN, ICQ, AIM and Yahoo. The battery consumption on my smartphone is almost none and I can connect to my friends online when ever I want...

=)juha

Jerry Raia
10-20-2005, 05:01 PM
I have one of the My Text things set up for "Be patient, I'm on my phone."

That's a really good idea.

Jason Dunn
10-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I'm like you Mike - I'm almost always connected with Messenger, but when it comes to my mobile devices, the lack of a good input method makes me want to avoid using it.

Jerry Raia
10-20-2005, 05:33 PM
On a side note, has anyone else read that MSN and YIM (Yahoo) will be able to connect to each other sometime next year?

Darius Wey
10-20-2005, 05:38 PM
On a side note, has anyone else read that MSN and YIM (Yahoo) will be able to connect to each other sometime next year?

Yeah, this should be implemented sometime in Q2 2006. It'll put some pressure on AIM, which seems to be very successful over in the USA, though not so where I live.

Mike Temporale
10-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Your poll is kinda difficult to answer. I have a passport account but I never use MSN messenger. I will check my MSN email once a quarter on my phone but that is about it.

Eek! Sorry about that. The last option should really be worded more like Never, or I don't even have a passport. It was meant to be general catch all for the two options. :)

Mike Temporale
10-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Yeah, this should be implemented sometime in Q2 2006. It'll put some pressure on AIM, which seems to be very successful over in the USA, though not so where I live.

I don't know anyone that's using AIM or ICQ anymore. They've all switched to MSNM. So this news really doesn't effect me. :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
It'll put some pressure on AIM, which seems to be very successful over in the USA, though not so where I live.

Psst... AIM doesn't stand for Australia On Line Instant Messenger :P

That's my guess why it isn't as popular where you area.

nutzareus
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm not really a very big IMer, so I seldom use MSN Messenger on my phone. What I'd really like is Yahoo Messenger for my phone. Perhaps with the upcoming interoperability with each other Yahoo will address this shortcoming.

Point to https://mm.yahoo.com on your phone's browser.

Darius Wey
10-21-2005, 03:01 AM
It'll put some pressure on AIM, which seems to be very successful over in the USA, though not so where I live.

Psst... AIM doesn't stand for Australia On Line Instant Messenger :P

That's my guess why it isn't as popular where you area.

FYI, AOL has a significant presence in Australia. But thanks anyway -- I obviously don't have the necessary qualifications to work out acronyms. Woe is me. :roll: ;)

Vuvision
10-24-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm not really a very big IMer, so I seldom use MSN Messenger on my phone. What I'd really like is Yahoo Messenger for my phone. Perhaps with the upcoming interoperability with each other Yahoo will address this shortcoming.Have you tried AgileMessenger from www.agilemobile.com ? I have their messenger running 24/7 on my (Series 60) smartphone and this software ROCKS!! It can connect MSN, ICQ, AIM and Yahoo. The battery consumption on my smartphone is almost none and I can connect to my friends online when ever I want...

=)juhaSecond ^^ agilemobile.com freebie software :way to go: . Now I can IM with all my buddies from MSN to Yahoo under one application, agilemobile is the greatest thing since slice bread for us smartphone IMers. I have it constantly on whenever I am away from my desk.

To boot, Agilemobile allows for you to have instant 2-way communication with Yahoo IM, MSN, etc ... same as on your PC. Highly recommended :clap:

BobGamacho
10-25-2005, 03:23 PM
I can't be alone in my thoughts and feeling for Messenger on the Smarthphone. Time for a poll! How often do you use MSN Messenger (or any other IM tool) on your Smartphone? And if you're not a big mobile user like me, then what would get you to use it more often, if anything?

I very rarely use Messenger on my Smertphone. No need to as I don't have very many people that I "chat" with. The exception is my brother.

Since my Bruv's in Iraq and is a Signal Corps officer, he has a lot of Internet access throughout his day. If I haven't received an email or chatted with him in a few days, I'll check Messenger on my phone while at work to see if he's online.

On our recent move from Arizona to California, I was sitting poolside at a hotel in Bakersfield, "chatting" on my phone with him while he was just coming off of his duty. It's so incredibly slow to type out messages on the phone that I don't do this very often. But, he's the one reason why I go on there every once in a blue moon.

Rob