View Full Version : Removing XM Calendar from Homescreen

carlheizer
10-14-2005, 04:56 AM
My homescreen has two calendars. One is XM and one is Outlook. How do I remove the XM Calendar?

Mike Temporale
10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
My homescreen has two calendars. One is XM and one is Outlook. How do I remove the XM Calendar?

Uninstalling the XM Calendar doesn't remove it? Or you want to keep XM and remove the default one?

Basically, you'll have to edit the XML file for your homescreen and remove the offending lines.

Kris Kumar
10-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Lets talk about the easy way.

When you install XpressMail. I believe your original home screen layout is saved. So go to Start->Settings->Home Screen and select a layout without the word Cingular in the name.

The tough way, not needed if the above works.

As Mike said you will have to edit the home screen layout file.

It can be found over in this location on your Smartphone.
\Storage\Application Data\Home

Establish ActiveSync connection. From your desktop PC, browse to the above folder. Copy files that have .home.xml extension and have Cingular in the name. There are a couple of them. Each has different amount of content. You are most likely looking for the one with Full in the name as well. :-)

On the desktop open the file in a text editor.

It is an XML file. Not sure if you are familiar with XML. In this a section has to be removed. Unfortunately I don't have the original copy of the file with me. Take a look, if you cant find it, you will have to email it to me.

Basically you have to look for line that begins with "<plugin clsid" with cingular or xmcalendar or something similar on that line and delete lines till next "</plugin>" tag.

Kris Kumar
10-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Uninstalling the XM Calendar doesn't remove it? Or you want to keep XM and remove the default one?

XM Calendar is an app installed by Cingular XpressMail, the psuedo push E-Mail client provided by Cingular. It does a good job except it maintains its own calendar database and a calendar plugin - hence cluttering the home screen. Which I also dont like. I have in the past edited my home screen to remove it.

Mike Temporale
10-14-2005, 12:54 PM

XM Calendar is an app installed by Cingular XpressMail, the psuedo push E-Mail client provided by Cingular.

Ah.... I see. So removing it is not really an option. ;) Ya, then you'll have to use another homescreen, or edit it out of the one you have now. I would just use another homescreen, there are so many nice ones out there too. 8)

carlheizer
10-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the posts Mikes and Kris. FYI, I have Battery Pack Pro. I am looking at my home screens on my PC and see that I have BP.home as well as six other XML files. I copied them to the desktop and opened them with text editor and am comparing them now. I am a little leary deleting something but when I do, then I save it with a new name back to the phone and then change my screen by going to start/settings/homescreen, right? Also, how would I capture and display my homescreen so that I can post it?

Mike Temporale
10-15-2005, 02:05 AM
I am looking at my home screens on my PC and see that I have BP.home as well as six other XML files. I copied them to the desktop and opened them with text editor and am comparing them now. I am a little leary deleting something but when I do, then I save it with a new name back to the phone and then change my screen by going to start/settings/homescreen, right? Also, how would I capture and display my homescreen so that I can post it?

Yup, that's all you have to do. If you can determine which file it is, we can help you determine the part you need to remove.

There are a number of screen capture applications that you can use to capture the screen. Some are free and some cost a little money. Just do a search here and you should find a number of links to different applications. :)

Mike Temporale
10-15-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm doing a quick search, and here's a couple different apps

ScreenShotSP (I'm using this one)
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6367&highlight=screen+capture+application

SmartSS (I used to use this one ;) )
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4317&highlight=screen+shot

carlheizer
10-16-2005, 03:00 AM
I wimped out on the XML thing. Downloaded HomeEdit from OmegaOne and voila! It did the job.