View Full Version : Is There a Word Processor?

Pete Paxton
10-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Is there a decent word processor for Windows Mobile like pocket word or textmaker for the PPC?

Pete Paxton
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
I still don't see a word processor in anyone's list. Is that because there isn't one for Windows Mobile?

Mike Temporale
10-09-2005, 11:33 AM
crispeto, I moved your question over here to the Software forum. The other thread was dealing with the applications you have installed and I don't want to start another thread dealing with what software is available or not on the Smartphone platform.

To answer your question, there is no Word Processor. This is many becuase of the lack of quality input methods. Not many people are going to work on an essay with T9. ;)

But there are text applications like SmartphoneNotes.

Kris Kumar
10-09-2005, 04:03 PM
There are file viewers. That lets you view documents and other Microsoft Office files and PDF.

http://www.westtek.com/smartphone/

But as far as editing and creation goes. I would have go with Mike's suggestion.

Jerry Raia
10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Take a look at Orneta Notepad (http://www.orneta.com/index.php?module=Pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=2&pid=2) too.

Pete Paxton
10-18-2005, 06:28 AM
I just noticed where my thread went. Sorry for putting it in the wrong category. A friend of mine has a Blackberry and uses a program called eWord and it is just like MS Word. He probably won't be typing long essays but he does type 1-2 page papers on it and it turns out well. He let me try it and it uses something called suretype and I was able to type a 1 page question sheet in just a few minutes. I would love to see a word type program for Win Mobile.

Sven Johannsen
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I just noticed where my thread went. Sorry for putting it in the wrong category. A friend of mine has a Blackberry and uses a program called eWord and it is just like MS Word. He probably won't be typing long essays but he does type 1-2 page papers on it and it turns out well. He let me try it and it uses something called suretype and I was able to type a 1 page question sheet in just a few minutes. I would love to see a word type program for Win Mobile.
Blackberrys are designed for text input a bit more than current WM Smartphones. At this point input on a Smartphone is a bit limited. You can get a BT keyboard for the phones, but I think the penetration of those is not yet good enough for developers to waste time with a word processor. This may change with more Smartphones coming with a thumb keyboard. Remember that Windows Mobile also runs on Pocket PCs and PocketPC Phone editions. You could certainly get TextMaker for your HP 6515 or Palm 750 (?), or for the units with slide out keyboards, and they come with Pocket Word.

Pete Paxton
10-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Yea, I've had textmaker for my PPC for a while and I love it. Like you said maybe in the future I will be able to get a smartphone that I can either install a word processor on or that will have one pre-installed. It'd be nice to only have to carry one device. Thanks for your posts.

nerdeff
12-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Kai's Text Viewer+Editor 2.5 (http://smartphone.mobiletopsoft.com/productivity/notetaking/getproduct.php?pname=Kai%27s+Text+Viewer%2BEditor+2.5) you can open known and unknown text files (ini, bat, sys, dat, xyz...) with this program. Its not like ms word in design but its quite usefull.

ARW
12-02-2005, 07:19 PM
[quote=crispeto]At this point input on a Smartphone is a bit limited. You can get a BT keyboard for the phones, but I think the penetration of those is not yet good enough for developers to waste time with a word processor.

Would love to have a BT keyboard for my SP5m, but there are no drivers for WM5 at this point. I think everybody involved on both the hardware and software sides are waiting for someone else to make the firts move. Perhaps some day we'll be able to type documents on our Smartphones.

Santa Fe
12-02-2005, 09:08 PM
For taking short notes I just use the built in e-mail editor and then send the note to myself as an e-mail.

shindullin
02-02-2006, 02:01 AM
Is there still no driver out there for a bluetooth keyboard? I would like that a responsive company like ThinkOutside or one of those folks would have gotten to it by now.

Kris Kumar
02-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Is there still no driver out there for a bluetooth keyboard? I would like that a responsive company like ThinkOutside or one of those folks would have gotten to it by now.

ThinkOutside has BT drivers for WM2003 SE and WM5.0. :-)

ARW
02-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Just picked up a Thinkoutside BT keyboard and it is excellent. The driver allows keyboard control over most anything you'd like to do on the phone.

Rocco Augusto
02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
You can also pick up Pocket Notepad (www.airfagev.com) and WordPad (www.airfagev.com) (which comes with some HTML templates) from airfagev.com (www.airfagev.com)

cooleaf
02-21-2006, 06:55 AM
No doubt it is not easy either to read or type long essay on such small screens. I'd rather type it on my laptop and then syn them back into my mobile.
Input method is really a problem, even on that full-size keyboard on BlackBerry, typing even one short para still sucks... :)