View Full Version : Nickel and Dimed

Jerry Raia
10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.laptopmag.com/features/nickel-and-dimed' target='_blank'>http://www.laptopmag.com/features/nickel-and-dimed</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The average wireless user pays 17 percent more in service fees and taxes than what a wireless carrier quotes as the monthly charge, but you already know that if you've spent some time with your cell phone bill lately. What you probably don't know is how that compares to what you pay for other products. "The average tax burden on other goods and services is about seven to eight percent," said Joe Farren, a spokesperson for the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association. The CTIA has lobbied the FCC to endorse rules clarifying billing information, but don't expect a discount any time soon."</i><br /><br />Nice article here about the scam of taxes on our cell phone bills here in the states. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the ten highest taxed states but I'm sure the others will be catching up. My favorite has always been how they add "fees" for all sorts of things. They are all taxes! Nice to see the carriers are pushing back a little.

Kris Kumar
10-08-2005, 01:05 AM
WooHoo! NY state is 16.23%. Its the highest in the country. WooHoo

What? That's a bad thing.

I am getting taxed the highest in the country.

Oh! :( :evil:

Jerry Raia
10-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Yeah but you are leading the pack! :lol:

me
10-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Not true that it's "all taxes". Most of the money in these "extra fees", goes to the carriers, not the government. It's a way to pad their bills to advertise a lower price than what they actually charge.

Look at the bill and see what percentage is actually taxes. Charges like "***recovery fee", etc., are extra fees slapped on by the carriers. Each carriers extra fees are different than the others, which wouldn't be the case if it was all governmental taxes (which are the same for each locality). The government condones this practice (which IMO they shouldn't), but it is not mostly "taxes" to the government, it is more money to the carriers. The carriers are certainly not lobbying against this practice, but quite the contrary, they are lobbying to keep it.

Yes, my $39.99 per month charge ends up in a bill of over $50! That is over $20 added on. It really is rather absurd!