View Full Version : T-Mobile Welcomes You to the US

Mike Temporale
10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
On my recent trip to Seattle, I was surprised to get a text message with in minutes of the plane landing and turning on my Smartphone. I suspected it was from a voice message that might have been left while I was in flight, or possibly my daily SMS weather forecast, but it wasn't. The message was from our good friend T-Mobile. It turns out, the moment my phone roamed onto the T-Mobile network, their servers recognized me as a international roamer, and extended this greeting to me.

"T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call home dial + or 011 and the country code and number. For directory assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay."

I think this is a great idea, since many cellphone users might not even realize that they have to dial something different when they travel. Plus, it informs the customer that they can call home, and makes no mention of the nice roaming charges that you will be gouged on. :wink: My phone did eventually roam onto the Cingular network, but I did not received a text message from them. In fact all that Cingular had to offer was a bad GPRS signal. :? I ended up forcing my phone to go T-Mobile and totally ignore Cingular's offering. 8)

rbrome
10-05-2005, 05:53 AM
I've seen that type of message before. I think when I was roaming in France, and then again in Singapore. It doesn't seem to be uncommon.

But yes - it's a great idea! :D

Stinger
10-05-2005, 09:39 AM
I even got a similar message when roaming in Canada (on Rogers) and I thought you guys were a little backward when it came to mobile phones. ;)

As an added bonus, my European tri-band phone got good reception too!

Kris Kumar
10-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I even got a similar message when roaming in Canada (on Rogers)....

Yup, I got the welcome message too when I went to Canada. Also in India. I like the idea a lot.

possmann
10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
That is just plain great customer service - on a global level... now if they would just get off their butts and release the smartphone...(in the USA)

James Sonne
10-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I have Cingular and when I flew to Germany over this previous summer it welcomed me with a similar message, giving me information on where to call for help and such. Oh, and I had full signal everywhere, including the Underground in London. I think they put transmitters throughout the tube.