View Full Version : SMT5600 keeps locking up

ctmagnus
10-02-2005, 06:34 AM
My SMT5600 keeps locking up. What I mean by "locking up" is that the lock feature fails to implement itself. If the phone is locked at the time (either by pressing and holding the end button or by going through the power button menu) I am unable to unlock it other than by pulling the battery. Usually when this happens, the phone reports that it is locked when I turn it back on and I can then unlock it the usual way. If the phone is unlocked at the time, I am unable to lock it and if I want it locked I have to turn it off and back on before I am able to lock it.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Mike Temporale
10-03-2005, 03:46 AM
Sounds like some faulty 3rd party application to me. I know that Facade had a problem with locking up the phone - this happened after you disabled the plugin. I would start removing applications. Start with the last one you installed. And keep us informed.

ctmagnus
10-03-2005, 07:05 AM
The locking up started happening well over a week after I installed the latest app. I think I may know what the culprit is, however: Once in a while, I'll fire up Resco Battery State and it'll report that 100% of RAM is used. I sync my iPaq with Pocket TV Browser on my Tablet PC and Pocket TV Browser (on the desktop/notebook/tablet end) isn't intelligent enough to differentiate between a device that has the mobile version of the app installed and one that doesn't, so PTVB has been copying the database over to the phone when I sync it.

afaict, the database is occupying the rest of the ram over and above what the phone normally uses. When this happens, the PTVB synching process creates an \iPaq File Store directory on the phone and copies the database there and the \iPaq File Store directory is residing in ram rather than in storage.

Not knowing a terribly large amount about how the filesystem of Smartphones work, is this the case?

ctmagnus
10-05-2005, 09:56 PM
I disabled PTVBrowser from autostarting, thus preventing it from copying the ~1MB database to the ram in the Smartphone. No lockups for several days now!

Mike Temporale
10-05-2005, 10:14 PM
What if you created a smaller DB for it to use. Maybe that 1MB of memory is just too much. Perhaps 500kb, or maybe even 256kb might be easier on it. Just a thought.

Do you have anything else running on startup?

ctmagnus
10-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Creating a smaller db isn't really feasible in this case, as that's what Zap2It provides me whenever I download their listings ;) (Unless I want to download fewer days at a time or trim some of my lesser-watched channels out of my download.)

As for startup apps, I have IA Caller ID, MMSReg, SmsClassZero, STK_Service (I believe this is to do with Rogers MyMail), TimeWizard and All-Locations' GPRS counter in the Startup folder.

But having to fire up PTVB on the desktop every three or four days, starting the download manually and waiting five minutes or so for the listings to come down, then doing a ~30 second sync to the iPaq and exiting PTVManager, all manually, is much less aggravation than having a non-responsive phone, sometimes three or four times a day.

weffner
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I just exchanged an MPX220 for the Audiovox SMT5600 and I have had it lock up about 10 times in the last week where I need to take out the battery to get in to unlock. I have no apps installed at all yet. Sounds like the same issue you are having. The only items I have added is about 4 voice tags.

Have you actually been able to find out what is causing this?

weffner
10-06-2005, 05:51 PM
I just exchanged an MPX220 for the Audiovox SMT5600 and I have had it lock up about 10 times in the last week where I need to take out the battery to get in to unlock. I have no apps installed at all yet. Sounds like the same issue you are having. The only items I have added is about 4 voice tags.

Have you actually been able to find out what is causing this?

ctmagnus
10-06-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think my ram was getting too full; Resco System Toys would occasionally report that that was the case. I have a program installed on my laptop that copies a file to a particular location on my Pocket PC when it runs, but that location doesn't exist on the Smartphone so when it ran when the Smartphone was connected afaict that location was being created in ram.

hth!

Jerry Raia
10-09-2005, 06:14 PM
This might be worth a look from Oxios (http://www.oxios.com/memory/)

ctmagnus
10-09-2005, 07:06 PM
fwiw, the SMT5600 comes with a similar app preinstalled. It's Task Manager, under Resource Mgmt. There's Space Maker there as well, which I've never actually used.