View Full Version : Outlook

shonnyb
09-22-2005, 02:03 AM
I have my yahoo mail going to outlook. I have my phone sync with my outlook. I can't send any emails or recieve any emails thru outlook on my phone unless my phone is connected to my computer. Am I suppose to be able to send and receive messages wirelessly thru outlook?? I honestly don't know? please help...

Mike Temporale
09-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Unless you subscribe to some sort of hosted email solution, this sounds about right. If you add an email account on your Smartphone that checks your Yahoo account directly, then you will be able to send and recieve email wirelessly. However, it will require some sort of data package. :)

ARW
09-22-2005, 03:31 AM
To pile on with what Mike said, but use some different terminology...

If you're using PC Outlook for POP email then the phone will have to be Activsync'd with the PC to send and receive email. If however, you do not sync mail items between the phone and PC, then you can set up the phone to independently send/recieve email using the same POP account. Just be sure to have the phone leave a copy of the message on the server or you'll be committed to using the phone for any messages that it plucks off the server. And of course, you'll have to have some sort of data package for the phone.

I use my phone this way and it works great for me. Good luck.

hamsammich
09-22-2005, 06:57 AM
This is good info. I recently found out why I couldn't retrieve my Gmail account on my SMT5600. I was entering all the information correctly in the setup with the exception of the ports. For instance, the incoming mail server is "pop.gmail.com:995". The outgoing is "smtp.gmail.com:465". I was missing those last three port numbers when I was setting up my mail, and that made all the difference.

What is sad is that I noticed that about three days ago, and I've been having the issue of not being able to get my mail for months on other phones!

So, if you go to set up mail on your smartphone, make sure you visit Yahoo's site help to see how to set up POP mail and what addresses/ports you need to use.