View Full Version : confused about smartphones???

enaime
09-21-2005, 01:31 AM
I am having a big problem choosing a smartphone or PDA phone. I currently have a Nokia 6230 cell phone and an ipaq PDA. Thats great, but I want just one device that does what both things.

I mainly use my PDA for Drug Reference software (I am a Doctor), listening to MP3's, playing some video games and watching movies on flights (I know small screen).

I use my cell for phone calls (duh) and taking pictures occasionally.

I know my choices are:
1: Palm base Treo
2: IPAQ PDA phone
3: Nokia smartphone
4: Smartphones with Microsoft Mobile OS

I know the IPAQ will do everything that my current PDA does for sure. Im not certain about the Palm OS, Smartphones with Microsoft Mobile and the Symbian OS Nokia??
Can anyone shed some light on this issue Please????
Will the Nokia do all these things, can I use Pocket PC software on Smartphones with Microsoft OS??
ANYONE HELP!!

Mike Temporale
09-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't think you're going to find many people here that will be able to shed some light on your Palm questions. ;)

In regards to the Windows Mobile Smartphone, there is an important distinction between the WM Smartphone and the WM Pocket PC Phone. Smartphones do not have a touch screen. I watch movies, play MP3's and WMA, play games, surf, and more using my Smartphone. However, I don't take many notes (not unless I'm using a keyboard of some sort).

For the most part, Pocket PC software will not run on the Smartphone. The odd time you might see an exception to this, but for the most part it won't work. You simply can't tap an OK button like you can on the Pocket PC.

Hope that helps a little. :)

Kris Kumar
09-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Is the drug reference software available for Smartphones, Nokia, Treos etc. First thing would be to eliminate the platforms that do not support the software.

Also since you mentioned drug reference software, I am guessing that you would need a bigger screen. Something that Pocket PC Phone Edition can offer. Microsoft Smartphones have small screens. Screen size and the touch screen factor that Mike talked about should be considered next.

enaime
09-21-2005, 04:19 AM
thanks for the help guys, great advice. having read those replies, it has to be between Palm Treo and IPAQ pda phone. the touch screen capability is super important when navigating through database references.

Mike Temporale
09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Unless you have some requirment for the iPAQ, you might want to check out some of the other Pocket PC Phone Editions on the market. I'm not up to speed on all the differences, but I know that there are some other models that are ahead of the iPAQ. Devices like the Blue Angel (side out keyboard), the JAM (super small), and the Universal (clam type with rotatable screen and keyboard.)

If I may, you might want to head over to our sister site, Pocket PC Thoughts (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com) These guys are the experts in the Pocket PC device world. :)