View Full Version : Best SmartPhone?

InGearX
09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I have Dell Axim X50v for my PocketPC needs...

But it's too BIG to carry everywhere (club, jog...)

I'm hoping to explore SmartPhones...

I have T-Mobile (in NYC w. WAP & GPRS) and am hoping to browse and run all the possible applications...

I really think that a one with a full blown keyboard will be great for data entry (notes, SMS...) is that so? Any new ones on the market? Options?

Will it be super easy to sync contacts/notes... between PocketPC and SmartPhone?

Is there a new SmartPhone OS on the horizon (like Windows Mobile 5 for PPC)

Any tips, tricks, links, suggestions are much appreciated :)

Thank you all...

Mike Temporale
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I really think that a one with a full blown keyboard will be great for data entry (notes, SMS...) is that so? Any new ones on the market? Options?

Right now, there is only 1 model with a keyboard; the sierra wireless Voq. And you can pick one up from Expansys for just $160. The Voq has a foldout keyboard, but lacks Bluetooth and a camera. It's also a little "big".

Check out this early review, (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5309) and these comparison pictures (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7312) of the Audiovox and the Voq.

Will it be super easy to sync contacts/notes... between PocketPC and SmartPhone?

Actually, you don't sync between Windows Mobile devices. It sync's with your desktop just like your Pocket PC does.

Is there a new SmartPhone OS on the horizon (like Windows Mobile 5 for PPC)

Yup, it's called Windows Mobile 5.0 ;) However, many of the features you may have heard about in the POcket PC arena are already in the Smartphone. :)

bigkingfun
09-15-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm new to this whole Smartphone thing too. I'm looking at replacing my long-in-the-tooth T68i that I use with my x50v for GPRS access (through Fido).

I started out by looking for a new bluetooth phone but now I'm starting to wonder if a Smartphone might be a better way to go (all because of the email article on PPCT - you just had to feed my gadget addiction a little more, didn't you??? )

I looked around the site but couldn't find a newbie forum or Smartphone FAQs. Is there anything on this site - or someplace else - that someone can point me at to get up to speed?

In particular, I'm curious if there are any WM5 phones out yet or anything that has been announced that I should wait for?

I'm also wondering how well an unlocked phone works with Fido. From scanning through some of the posts here it sounds like there are some people using Fido but from what I've seen, they don't offer any Smartphones themselves. Are there any serious issues with picking up an unlocked phone to use on Fido?

I appreciate any feedback...

Mike Temporale
09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
In particular, I'm curious if there are any WM5 phones out yet or anything that has been announced that I should wait for?

There is nothing out yet. There are a couple devices that have been announced and are expected to hit the streets around the start of October. However, that's just an guess on the date.

I'm also wondering how well an unlocked phone works with Fido. From scanning through some of the posts here it sounds like there are some people using Fido but from what I've seen, they don't offer any Smartphones themselves. Are there any serious issues with picking up an unlocked phone to use on Fido?

If it's an unlocked phone, it will work without any problems. If it's a locked phone, you'll need to get it unlocked first and then it will work. Rogers offers the Audiovox SMT5600 on their network. However, I would stay with Fido, if I were you. ;)

If you search the forums for Fido, you'll see a great number of people that have asked about configuring their smartphone for Fido. Jason and I are both using Fido, so I can tell you first hand that it will, and does work.

InGearX
09-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Thank you...