View Full Version : Tornado to Strike Cellular Operators

Mike Temporale
09-11-2005, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.arcchart.com/blueprint/show.asp?id=376' target='_blank'>http://www.arcchart.com/blueprint/show.asp?id=376</a><br /><br /></div><i>"HTC has a tendency to name its handset models after natural disasters. In the past, the Taiwanese manufacturer launched the HTC Hurricane and the HTC Typhoon. However, now that word has leaked of its soon-to-be released HTC Tornado, a feature phone with integrated Wi-Fi, it looks like the use of this apocalyptic nomenclature has been adopted in order to describe the effect these devices will have on the traditional cellular operator business model. The Tornado looks like a run-of-the-mill feature phone and is, in fact, 2mm thinner than the popular Sony Ericsson K750i."</i><br /><br />This article over at ARCchart talks about the possible impact the Tornado is going to have on the cellular operators. Given the device's WiFi ability, it could seriously cut into the operators revenue, or it could be a nice supplement. That is, if they already have a large hotspot offering. It's an interesting read. I'm guessing that the revenue issues is what caused HTC to offer this phone in 2 versions with and without WiFi.

Kris Kumar
09-11-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree with this statement in the article.

If multi-network operators like T-Mobile USA did not exist, these converged devices would have a much harder time gaining traction within the market.

HalM
09-12-2005, 02:37 PM
I also agree with what Kris said but I think we'll also see if the "lean and mean" cellular carriers are quicker to evolve to new threats and opportunities than the old land land carriers. Could convergence start a war not unlike the ISA bus versus MicroChannel where PCI wins? I have no idea who that 3rd party might be but this is a whole new world and the Enterprise customer base should drive it.

mar2k
09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Only T-Mobile offers decent data rates and they are the ones with all the WiFi hotspots. The "big two" in North America, Cingular and Verizon, will have no part of Wifi in a smartphone offering yet they are the same ones charging outrageous rates for data services. If they want to strip out Wifi they could at least offer a decent data plan to the masses. As it is, I'm with Cingular and I am already planning on skipping the Cingular version of this phone and purchasing one from i-Mate or someone else that has Wifi included.

mpaquette
09-12-2005, 03:13 PM
As it is, I'm with Cingular and I am already planning on skipping the Cingular version of this phone and purchasing one from i-Mate or someone else that has Wifi included.

I'm in the same boat as well and will be doing the same. I can't see Cingular selling a phone with WiFi.