View Full Version : D-Link Announces New Wireless 3G Router - Toss Out the DSL or Cable Router

Kris Kumar
09-01-2005, 11:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=241' target='_blank'>http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=241</a><br /><br /></div><i>"D-Link, the end to end networking solutions provider for consumers and business, today announced that the D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will be added to its line of award-winning customer premise products. The D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router (DI-725) will offer subscribers of wireless carriers the ability to share 3G wireless broadband access at speeds up to 2.4 Mbps with Ethernet and 802.11g connected stations from anywhere a compatible 3G mobile signal is available. ... The D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will come equipped with a built in Cardbus slot for the insertion of a 3G wireless notebook adapter interface for EVDO, UMTS, and HSDPA networks. The router will also feature two USB 2.0 ports, one for providing wireless broadband access when used in conjunction with a USB enabled 3G mobile cell phone and another port for optional print server functionality."</i><br /><br />Products like this D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will speed up the adoption of high-speed wireless Internet service. Most of us have already dumped our landlines in favor of cell phones. And now the time has come to dump the cable or DSL connections, and adopt the wireless Internet. One bill, and in some cases higher speeds than the cable version of the Internet. 8) Recently Verizon Wireless cut its high-speed wireless <a href="http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&amp;u=/nm/20050831/wr_nm/telecoms_sprint_data_dc_1">rates by 25%</a> and now Sprint is planning to do the same. All this is good news for us. :)

Pony99CA
09-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Most of us have already dumped our landlines in favor of cell phones.
Really? Where did you get this statistic and who is "us"? I still have my landline because I get unlimited local calling, never have to worry about reception or minutes used, have multiple handsets around the house, etc.

And now the time has come to dump the cable or DSL connections, and adopt the wireless Internet. One bill, and in some cases higher speeds than the cable version of the Internet. 8)
One bill? Do you think people who have cable TV are going to get their television feed over the phone, too? If I chose to dump my cable Internet for wireless Internet, I'd still have two bills (well, three, if you count landline); I'd just be transferring the Internet portion of my Charter bill to Verizon.

Steve

Kris Kumar
09-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Most of us have already dumped our landlines in favor of cell phones.
Really? Where did you get this statistic and who is "us"? I still have my landline because I get unlimited local calling, never have to worry about reception or minutes used, have multiple handsets around the house, etc.

Okay! :oops: I admit, I was excited and exaggerated the most of "us", but I am certain a number of our readers have dumped their landlines in favour of the cell phone. I remember reading an article recently that as many as 10% American have switched completely to the cellphones. Also most of my friends don't have landlines. I have a name-sake landline. I volunteer for a local non-profit organization. Hence I need to publicize my number. Just for that I have the land line, basic service. As for unlimited calling and long distance. I make most of my calls on weekends, when it is free. ;-) I don't have time to call during weekdays, also there is e-mail that I rely on heavily.

And now the time has come to dump the cable or DSL connections, and adopt the wireless Internet. One bill, and in some cases higher speeds than the cable version of the Internet. 8)
One bill? Do you think people who have cable TV are going to get their television feed over the phone, too? If I chose to dump my cable Internet for wireless Internet, I'd still have two bills (well, three, if you count landline); I'd just be transferring the Internet portion of my Charter bill to Verizon.

One bill is more in context of the Internet service. Sorry if it is was not apparent. Right now most of "us" are paying for cable/DSL at home and also wireless Internet on our cell phones. I pay $35 for cable Internet and $20 to T-Mobile. With the high speed wireless Internet, we can have just one service provider, hence pay only once for the same service and hence the one bill concept. :-) The price may be steep for now. But it is coming down.

And what D-Link has brought to the market and similar devices from other vendors will definitely drive up the adoption of wireless Internet.

Mark Larson
09-02-2005, 06:03 AM
I understand your excitement, but a wireless router isn't going to make me give up my solid 5 Mbps connection. Its like tapes vs CDs and CDs vs SACDs... mobile phones offer so much more than traditional phones, but wireless internet isn't as exciting.

Count me in the uninterested group until the technology improves a lot and prices come down. Right now I pay $5/mo and wouldn't pay a lot more.

HalM
09-02-2005, 01:02 PM
This is a great idea but it may be a few years away from being practical, epecially if you are running servers at a home office.

But what I am waiting for is a wireless home router -of sorts- that connects to my cellular carrier to give me full signal strength inside my home. I know that Cingular has offered this technology to a couple of clients if they would move their cellular buiness to them, so this is possible. If that were to happen, I would dump 2 of my 3 land lines in a heart beat.