View Full Version : Yet Another Survey Finds Cellphone Use in Cars is Bad

Mike Temporale
08-30-2005, 11:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2005/08/26/hscout527597.html' target='_blank'>http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/health/feeds/hscout/2005/08/26/hscout527597.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Listening on your cell phone while driving can be just as risky as talking, a new study finds. "It seems an intuitive understanding for most people that production [talking] on a cell phone is harder than comprehension [listening]. But the fact is that both result in poor driving performance," said Tate Kubose, a cognitive scientist at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and lead author of the study."</i><br /><br />I love how the focus is all about cellphones. They are just plain evil, we know. :roll: Let's not forget that chewing on that Big Mac, drinking that hot latte, putting on make-up, or reading the newspaper (yes, I've seen it) are just as bad and most of those happen far more often. Doing anything other than driving while driving is not a smart thing to do. I consider using talking on a cellphone while using a hands-free kit to be far safer, than any of these other activities. Then again, maybe I pay more attention to the road than the average Joe.

Jason Dunn
08-30-2005, 11:29 PM
I think it comes down to how well someone multitasks. Some people are great at it, and have no trouble focusing on two things at once. Others are horrible at it, and you get very dangerous drivers. These are the people who, when changing the radio station, they start to veer all over the road. :roll: I consider myself a strong multi-tasker, but there have been occasions when I've been dailing a number on my phone and thinking about what I was going to say to a person, that I found my car veering a bit. You definitely have to pay attention and focus on driving first and foremost!

Mark Larson
08-31-2005, 12:38 AM
The above poster is absolutely correct. I've noticed that in spite of all the hype in women's magazines about how much better women are at multitasking, women drivers are the worst at paying attention to the road while they do anything other than look at the road and have two hands on the wheel.

Janak Parekh
08-31-2005, 05:08 AM
there have been occasions when I've been dailing a number on my phone and thinking about what I was going to say to a person, that I found my car veering a bit.
This is the key that differentiates a cell phone from other tasks in the car, in my opinion. They're all stupid to try and multitask, but a cell phone is an interactive communication device, that actively takes the mind away from the scene at hand. Eating, etc. are more passive.

I personally believe I multitask well, but I never answer or dial my phone while driving. Voicemail is so very handy. ;)

--janak

Sven Johannsen
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure how talking on a cell phone (using a handsfree capability) is much different than holding a conversation with passengers. At least I'm not tempted to look at the person when talking. I might even be less inclined to gesture with my hands if no-one can see me, though that may be different along ethnic lines ;)

Making or answering a call is a simple one button push for me. Less complicated than tuning the radio. The rest is done verbally.

Sure, I agree that anything that takes your focus off the road is potentially hazardous, but cell phone use is just one of dozens of distractions. Some have been mentioned. How about game broadcasts for a rabid sports fan, or talk radio.

Janak Parekh
08-31-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure how talking on a cell phone (using a handsfree capability) is much different than holding a conversation with passengers.
It's hugely different. Passengers tend to notice road conditions and often cease talking when a sensitive moment approaches. Additionally, drivers are generally more inclined to ask passengers to wait a minute or even ask help from the passenger at certain points in a drive. I know I do.

How about game broadcasts for a rabid sports fan, or talk radio.
Again, it's passive, one-way. You can yell at it, but in general it's not going to listen. ;)

Without a doubt, different people have different attention spans and multitasking abilities, but I've found two-way phone conversations to be amongst the most distracting. As evidence, take a look at the behavior of someone on a cell phone just about anywhere -- public transit, restaurants, etc. They often zone out and are unresponsive to things happening around them.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure how talking on a cell phone (using a handsfree capability) is much different than holding a conversation with passengers.
drivers are generally more inclined to ask passengers to wait a minute
I can, and do, do that in a car too. I'll suggest I call back, or ask for a pause if the suituation warrants. At 65 on the highway with cruise control on, what's the diff.

How about game broadcasts for a rabid sports fan, or talk radio.
Again, it's passive, one-way
You must not know the same sports fans I do. One way? yes. Passive?hardly.

Janak Parekh
09-01-2005, 05:00 AM
I can, and do, do that in a car too.
You're better than most then. Maybe New York drivers are different...

At 65 on the highway with cruise control on, what's the diff.
Ah! That situation doesn't exist here in the NY metro area, unless you're driving at 3am. I don't think anyone I know has used cruise control except when traveling in other quieter parts of the US.

You must not know the same sports fans I do. One way? yes. Passive?hardly.
As I implied in my previous response, it's all relative. I don't doubt you see people paying more attention to a sports game than on the cell phone, but my experience has mostly been the opposite. And yes, I know some rabid sports fans.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
09-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Ah! That situation doesn't exist here in the NY metro area
--janak

I didn't think people had cars there. I thought it was only taxi's limos, and cops. ;) Hey, we sould get rid of the cops radios, and radar, bet that's distracting. :)

I guess it comes down to my being a libertarian. I I just don't like laws that restrict everyone, to avoid what some might do. You make it clear there are consequences for unsuitable results. Certainly there are things that need to be restricted for the common good. Talking on the cell phone is just one of the many things that can distract a driver, and without eliminating the rest, it just seems arbitrary to do one.

No Rules, Just Right

Janak Parekh
09-01-2005, 07:26 PM
I didn't think people had cars there.
I wish. ;) (Anyway, I live on Long Island, and you need a car there.)

I guess it comes down to my being a libertarian. I I just don't like laws that restrict everyone, to avoid what some might do.
Well, I haven't researched the statistics, but if certain things are disproportionate sources of car accidents, I don't mind seeing some legislation. You'd be amazed how much people think they can multitask, when in fact they can't.

and without eliminating the rest, it just seems arbitrary to do one.
Hmm. I personally wouldn't mind seeing legislation that does tackle the others as well.

--janak

Mike Temporale
09-01-2005, 07:46 PM
and without eliminating the rest, it just seems arbitrary to do one.
Hmm. I personally wouldn't mind seeing legislation that does tackle the others as well.

--janak

That's what get's me the most. Don't waste everyone's time and energy with legislation that deals 1 aspect of the problem. If you're going to do it, do it all at once. Ban the use phone, newspaper, portable device, make-up kit, etc.. while behind the wheel of a car. If it takes your eyes/attention off the road and didn't come built into the car, then it's not allowed. We don't need a different law for each thing.

Sven Johannsen
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Ban the use phone, newspaper, portable device, make-up kit,

And eating, and radio, and GPS and passengers (especially children) and animals. ...

Some of those might have come in the car, if you can afford it. So then it becomes OK if you can afford a car with a GPS built in (for $2000) but not if you can only afford a $400 add-on. Everyone is stuck with the stock radio, unless you waiver replacements, but can you replace a stock radio, with one that has a CD changer?

This is one of those that I don't think there would be a good way to write the rules so they wouldn't be overly restrictive, or overly vague. The latter being the scariest. Those are the ones that leave the assesment of 'distracting' up to the enforcement officer('s frame of mind, prejudices, etc)

You know you can be fined if an operational cell phone is discovered in the passenger compartment incidental to a traffic stop. I'll let you go this time, but in the future, I would put that in the trunk.

Jason Dunn
09-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Ban the use phone, newspaper, portable device, make-up kit, etc.. while behind the wheel of a car. If it takes your eyes/attention off the road and didn't come built into the car, then it's not allowed. We don't need a different law for each thing.

You could ban every single one of those things and guess what? There will still be just as many accidents on the road. People are easily distracted, and they'll always find SOMETHING that will distract them. What's next, having car radios that don't change stations while your wheels are moving? Hmm. Maybe I should patent that actually. :wink:

Janak Parekh
09-01-2005, 08:21 PM
You could ban every single one of those things and guess what? There will still be just as many accidents on the road.
Nah, there will be less, but it'll still be dwarfed by things like drunk driving, so in the grand scheme of things... the other thing that gets me is that headset use is mandatory in New York, but many people still flout it.

--janak

Sven Johannsen
09-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Nah, there will be less, but it'll still be dwarfed by things like drunk driving, so in the grand scheme of things... the other thing that gets me is that headset use is mandatory in New York, but many people still flout it.

--janak

You probably have speed limits too, and those are fairly universally ignored. We as a society just don't like limits. We hide it behind freedom, but we just don't like being told what to do. I think one of the downsides of having too many rules, it gives the impression that if it isn't specifically prohibited, it is OK.

Mike Temporale
09-01-2005, 10:24 PM
You could ban every single one of those things and guess what? There will still be just as many accidents on the road. People are easily distracted, and they'll always find SOMETHING that will distract them.

Which is why I they need to do it for everything, or nothing at all. Focusing on mobile phones is only looking at part of the problem. So basically, everyone is going to think it's ok to chew on that big mac, or read that newspaper. There's no law saying I can't, but there is a law saying you can't talk on your phone. :?

Jason Dunn
09-01-2005, 10:28 PM
So basically, everyone is going to think it's ok to chew on that big mac, or read that newspaper. There's no law saying I can't, but there is a law saying you can't talk on your phone. :?

Well, my point is that the ban is stupid because it won't actually solve the problem - nor is it easy to enforce. They should put all this effort into making biometric blood-alcohol sensing steering wheels mandatory on all new vehicles. Drunk driving is a serious problem - people talking on their phones is not.

Mike Temporale
09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
. They should put all this effort into making biometric blood-alcohol sensing steering wheels mandatory on all new vehicles. Drunk driving is a serious problem - people talking on their phones is not.

I agree with you 100%. The laws in this country are far too weak. It's a joke if you ask me.

Ned
09-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Which is why I they need to do it for everything, or nothing at all. Focusing on mobile phones is only looking at part of the problem. So basically, everyone is going to think it's ok to chew on that big mac, or read that newspaper. There's no law saying I can't, but there is a law saying you can't talk on your phone. :?

You hit the absurdity of the argument on the money Mike.

As to the cell phone being a distraction, and a dangerous one at that, I agree it can be one, because it can take your mind off what you're doing, however, if used sanely and judiciously, I think it's less dangerous than listening to your radio or having a great interesting conversation with another person in the car you're driving.

Think about the below example. What about the person so engrossed in music coming from the CD player in the car that she rear-ends you because she was swinging with the music instead of looking straight ahead? In fact, as I glanced in my rear view mirror, just before she slammed into my rear about six months ago, I noticed she had her eyes closed. Unbelievable....

I personally always use my wireless headset with my cell phone in the car. I also keep my conversations short and to the point in the car. If I'm going to need to talk for a while, I just pull over.

I don't think a cell phone in the car is any more dangerous than the myriad of other distractions in today's autos (CDs, Tapes, TV, Radio, Video, Games, PDA usage, Computer Usage, a driver reading a book while behind the wheel (I swear I saw that this past week.) or Interesting Conversations). Where are the studies about how distracting these other things are?

Maybe passengers in a car, who have the ability, and do make interesting conversation, should be banned from riding in cars, as that makes about as much sense as banning cell phone usage. If you're going to ban cellphone usage in cars, then you should be banning all those other distractions along with the cell phone usage, or the ban would not only be unfair, but as useless as some of the current cellphone-car usage legislation.

Ned